• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE conversion now wont shift to 2wd

Sorry I know better having a bad evening here.

Its a 2000 xj, 231-J auto
Just installed a rugged ridge kit SYE.

What I have found in the last hour.

Called RR and they said the bearing retainer was clocked wrong.
Not allowing the rail to slide.
Well it did look twisted so I took it off as soon as its off,,, it shifts fine.

Then I opened the holes in the retainer slightly to allow it to turn.
As soon as tighten down it wont shift again.
Primarly its between 2 wheel and into 4 once in 4 it will move back and forth to low high, but not want to go to 2 wheel again.
So on reflection It looked like maybe the rail end was hiting the retainer .

So I opened it up and took a bit off the end of the rail it was allready the shorter version.

Anyway the end result seems to be as soon as the bearing retainer is bolted down and the shaft is pulled straight it wont shift properly

Maybe the shift linkage needs to be adjusted? Just a jam-bolt on the shifter rod. Can't see how installing an SYE would have that affect, but then again it IS Rugged Ridge...

Pop the shift rod off and see if it will shift by hand. Use a crescent wrench to move the shift tab on the t-case. If it still doesn't shift then it's something inside the case, if it does shift then it's with the linkage.

Stayed up till 11 lastnight figureing it out.

Turns out my bad.
Put the ring for the shifter fork in backwards and it didnt want to shift with the tapered teeth facing the wrong way:doh:

Thanks for the response guy's:clap:

One of the most important parts of pulling one of those cases apart, making sure that ring goes back in the correct orientation. Glad you found the problem.

Had to do that too.
Seems ok now.
The syc ring was the biggest part though.
the diagram I had looks like a copy of a copy.
Finaly went online and looked at a writeup with pics and saw it was backwards right away:sad1:

I took a few digital shots of the internal parts during my SYE install. When it came to reassembly, my loss of short term memory prevented me from remembering how the oil pump was supposed to be installed. After breaking off one of the alignment tabs on the oil pump, I remembered the pics on the camera. A quick browse revealed my booboo and I got everything back together. No problems so far and it has been 5 months and several wheeling trips later.

Back