• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old style / Gen 1 AJ's Square Rock Rails Mounting?

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I just picked up a set of AJ's square super rails in really good shape for pretty cheap. Only catch is they are the older style. Each rail has: 2 L-plates with 4 holes per plate. Looks like the L will go under and then up the outside of the frame rail. There are no pinch-seam mounting points.

I don't know how old they are, but the seller is sure his friend had them on at least 2 earlier XJ's.

Anybody seen rails mount like this? Will the horizontal bolts go all the way through the framerail or just the outside? What kind of bolts (if any) only go into the framerail and don't use a nut on the other side?

This setup doesn't seem as nice as his current design, but does anything think jacking from them would be a bad idea? I know people use his pinch-seam-mounted rails to jack from...

THanks for any advice....

Oh yeah, I contacted the man himself (AJ), but he's likely busy and am wondering if any of you can help.

I'm sure it could be done, but not by me right now.

Anybody work on a mounting setup like this? I've seen someone's homemade rails mount just like this- all I need to know is how to/what kind of bolts to use.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm sure it could be done, but not by me right now.

Anybody work on a mounting setup like this? I've seen someone's homemade rails mount just like this- all I need to know is how to/what kind of bolts to use.

Thanks
Use some self tapping/ self drilling bolts or you can use long bolts all the way through the frame with bushings. They should also be attached at the pinch seam.

I guess I'll talk to a co-worker about welding some square tube or angle on there to mount in with the pinch seam.

Thanks for the tips- Looking forward to getting these mounted...

How would you go about running bolts through the frame channel horizontally? You mentioned 'bushing', but I don't fully understand what you mean. Are you talking about a tube through the hole and welded to the rails at both sides?

I'd like to do something a little stronger than these self-tapping screws seem to be- I can't find any with any rating whatsover- not to mention only using the threads formed by the sheet metal of the rails...

Last edited:
Back