• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ideas for mounting a rifle in my jeep

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ and I would like to have a way to mount an AR15 so it isn't always bouncing around.

Ideally I would like to mount it horizontally in the passenger area so the stock would hug the transmission tunnel. This would put the handguards and barrel in front of the passenger airbag and I'm not sure if it would still work correctly. Can I turn off or disable this airbag? Also another problem is mounting. I'm not sure now stable or secure the panel in front of the airbag really is. By secure I do not mean from theft, I'm just referring to the rifle bouncing around.

Ideas?

Aside from the obvious potential legal dilemas...

Find a law enforcement catolog and buy a mount/rack built for AR-15's. They are the rifle of choice for most departments now, so you can find many options from the full blow electric to simple non locking. Either mount it on the back of the rear seat, or under the back seat. Just put some foam on the floor if your rifle is a safe queen. If you need it up front, just mount it with the barrel pointing down off the trans tunnel like a crown vic...And don't chamber a round...but then again, that's up to you.

like this?

warthog_77.jpg

I have a 97 XJ and I would like to have a way to mount an AR15 so it isn't always bouncing around.

Ideally I would like to mount it horizontally in the passenger area so the stock would hug the transmission tunnel. This would put the handguards and barrel in front of the passenger airbag and I'm not sure if it would still work correctly. Can I turn off or disable this airbag? Also another problem is mounting. I'm not sure now stable or secure the panel in front of the airbag really is. By secure I do not mean from theft, I'm just referring to the rifle bouncing around.

Ideas?

Are you looking to keep it safe for transporting or does it need to come out quickly? I've got some things in mind, but I'd like to know what the overall mission is. Feel free to PM if you aren't interested in public announcement. ;)

Are you looking to keep it safe for transporting or does it need to come out quickly? I've got some things in mind, but I'd like to know what the overall mission is. Feel free to PM if you aren't interested in public announcement. ;)

I am looking for quick access to be removed quickly from the driver's seat.

Overall mission is to keep the rifle from bouncing around while wheeling and driving on bumpy roads, yet remain easily accessible at a moments notice. I am not looking to secure the rifle from theft.

Overall mission is to keep the rifle from bouncing around while wheeling and driving on bumpy roads, yet remain easily accessible at a moments notice. I am not looking to secure the rifle from theft.

Sure thing.

I used to sell these... The padding is great, doesn't 'stick'. You can get a model that is removable and an additional base plate for another vehicle.

http://www.ruggedgear.com/index.cfm...tegory_id=126/home_id=76/mode=prod/prd114.htm

The swing arm mount would allow dash mounting, with the butt on the floor in the cup.

http://www.ruggedgear.com/index.cfm...ategory_ID=130/home_id=76/mode=cat/cat130.htm

Lots of other stuff here:

http://www.galls.com/easearchresult...ehicle Lighting & Equipment&resultsperpage=20

Also, FWIW...20rd mags work amazingly well for moving a rifle or carbine around inside a vehicle.

Why do you really need quick access to an AR? Can't you just carry a pistol? Not trying to be a dick but i don't really see a need for this other than Law enforcement or "hey guys check out my AR mounted in my Jeep" moments.

I just carry mine barrel forward wedged down along the seat. The barrel woold be above the gas petal the butt wedged between the seat and the console. I have never had it come loose from that position. You could probably even set up some straps for retention.

Why do you really need quick access to an AR? Can't you just carry a pistol? Not trying to be a dick but i don't really see a need for this other than Law enforcement or "hey guys check out my AR mounted in my Jeep" moments.

For all we know he's on a 2500 acre ranch and uses it for coyote population control. It's not our business to poke and prod, especially not knowing what his local laws are or his situation. I figure if he wanted us to know, he'd say. I'm not asking, I'm just helping the guy out since I assume he's an adult and is capable of making big-boy decisions. Carrying a rifle in 'ready' position is not 'illegal' everywhere.

Oh, we don't carry pistols because of their deadliness or their accuracy; we carry them only because they're convenient. His mission needs an AR15, so he asked about how to carry one safely.

i have nothing against firearms, im just curious as to why you need a gun/riffle mounted in arms reach. is it for personnal protection? again, just curious as to why.

sounds like poaching to me... could be varmit control too i suppose...

or are you growing something your not supposed to?

Sure thing.

I used to sell these... The padding is great, doesn't 'stick'. You can get a model that is removable and an additional base plate for another vehicle.

http://www.ruggedgear.com/index.cfm...tegory_id=126/home_id=76/mode=prod/prd114.htm

The swing arm mount would allow dash mounting, with the butt on the floor in the cup.

http://www.ruggedgear.com/index.cfm...ategory_ID=130/home_id=76/mode=cat/cat130.htm

Lots of other stuff here:

http://www.galls.com/easearchresult...ehicle Lighting & Equipment&resultsperpage=20

Also, FWIW...20rd mags work amazingly well for moving a rifle or carbine around inside a vehicle.

The first link had exactly what I want, THANK YOU!

I decided to go with their mounting plate that bolts to the trans tunnel behind the center console and then their permanent floor mount two gun holder.

For all we know he's on a 2500 acre ranch and uses it for coyote population control. It's not our business to poke and prod, especially not knowing what his local laws are or his situation. I figure if he wanted us to know, he'd say. I'm not asking, I'm just helping the guy out since I assume he's an adult and is capable of making big-boy decisions. Carrying a rifle in 'ready' position is not 'illegal' everywhere.

Oh, we don't carry pistols because of their deadliness or their accuracy; we carry them only because they're convenient. His mission needs an AR15, so he asked about how to carry one safely.

I understand and I don't care what he's doing it for. I don't know about other states but here you can't shoot from or across a roadway or out of a vehicle for that matter. Unless he's shooting at something hundreds of yards away by the time he gets out of his Jeep they'll be gone.:dunno:

I've been itching to try out my Remington 700 on some 'yotes myself.

I understand and I don't care what he's doing it for. I don't know about other states but here you can't shoot from or across a roadway or out of a vehicle for that matter. Unless he's shooting at something hundreds of yards away by the time he gets out of his Jeep they'll be gone.:dunno:.

not ALL will be gone... I ride my 9000 acre hunting club property 3 or 4 times a week with a mini 14 and 20 rd mag between the passenger seat and console.
Coyotes are wary but a lot will stop 75-100 yards away and look back.
Lots of other varmits that are a lot slower moving than them also and can be dealt with easily.

The first link had exactly what I want, THANK YOU!

I decided to go with their mounting plate that bolts to the trans tunnel behind the center console and then their permanent floor mount two gun holder.

Awesome. Glad I could help. I've been wanting to get one for my M4gery and 870, myself. I used to sell the hell out of those things up here in WA when I was with another company. Very well-made units and the adjustable angle was a huge plus.

Back