• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drag link replace

90xjsumner

NAXJA Forum User
Im replacing my drag link tomorrow on my 90 xj. can I just take off my old one and put the new one on? I know I have to adjust it to my pitman arm but is it going to mess with my alignment from my tie rod?

also is the drag link end by the rim side supposed to move side to side or move all around. If you grab the threaded part and move it around.

No matter what part(s) you are replacing on the front end it generally messes with your alignment. That's why you should either do a driveway alignment or take it right down to the shop when you are all done replacing parts (my personal favorite). I think alot of guys forget this and then holler "Death Wobble". I'd get it on a rack at a good wheel shop.

Remember to count and record the number of threads at all the adjustment points BEFORE you remove anything. When you put it back together you can at least know where the TRE's etc. used to be. Jeeps are rough trucks but steering, brakes and alignment can be sensitive especially with lifts, bigger tires and other non factory mods.

I was surprised when the guys at Les Schwab told me they'd install all my TRE's for $16 a pop and align the thing "as part of the service".

Your results may vary.

Last edited:
if you want a larger diameter draglink, order one for a 91 and up. 87-90 used a smaller one then the 91 and up.

yes you need to align the toe if you replace the draglink unless you have it exactly the same length as the one you replaced and only if the toe way set to spec before you replace the old one.

I doubt the toe-in will change hardly at all from replacing the drag link. Steering wheel centering will probably change and need to be adjusted. A driveway toe-in alignment is really easy so I'd recommend doing it anyway.

Personally, I jack up the front, remove the wheels and run a couple of nuts on to hold the calipers on tight. Strap a couple of long straight edges on the calipers and adjust until they are parallel (zero toe-in). If you've got a bit of slop or wobble you might want a degree or so of toe-in. I can have it done in under an hour and I don't have to waste that hour driving to a shop that probably won't get it any better using tools that snap to the rims.

changed it out. but Ive got nothing left to replace on my front end and its still wobble like crazy!

What is everything to you and when was it changed or adjusted? Are you lifted how much? Tires How big and old?

Ball Joints
Track bar
Control arms or bushings (Upper and lower)
Tie rod ends (Lower)
Tie rod ends (Drag Link)
Steering box
Wheel bearings
Axle Ujoints
Shocks
Sway Bar Bushings
Tire Balance
Toe Adjusted
Caster Adjusted
Inspected for unibody cracking

Back