• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another A/C question

samger2

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ and am having some a/c problems. Recently the air was blowing warm, so in the past month and a half the evaporator, high and low side switches as well as the compressor have all been replaced...(very long story short)...and now it appears that it's blowing "cool", but not "cold". In other words I can have it blasting on 4 for a half hour drive and when I get home, I'm comfortable...but not cold. If I blast the a/c in the 05 Grand Cherokee on 4 for even 10 minutes it feels like my ears are going to have frost bite.

Also, there's a nasty sqeal when I turn the a/c on that lasts about 5 or 7 seconds. Honestly, there's not much left to replace...condensor? Receiver/Dryer? Orifice tube?

Thoughts?

did you have it profressionally evac'ed & recharged? or did you do a back-yard recharge?

buy a cheap thermometer probe & place it in the center vent. You are looking for a 30 -40 degree temp diff lower than the ambient(outside air) temp. Humidity plays a big part also. The more humidity in the air, the longer it takes to pull the heat out of the jeep. Also make sure you have it on max, recirc.

Ok...I have one, so I'll do that today and post the results. As far as the nasty squealing when starting the a/c...is that just a matter of tightening the tension on the a/c belt?

I must be smoking crack...I cranked it up to 4, let it sit for 30 minutes, then drove it around for 10 minutes, it dropped about 40 degrees...it's 80 here today, it dropped down to 40 coming out of the vent. I can't expect anything cooler than that. Hmmmm...I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if I notice it not being as cool.

Back