• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

full fluids change...where to go?

wgregt

NAXJA Forum User
Yikes. I noticed that it's been waaaay too long since I've had the fluids changed on my 88 XJ limited/4.0/4WD. According to folks I've talked to, I should need to change:

-pwr steering fluid
-auto tranny fluid
-transfer case front (is this what it's called?)
-front diff.
-rear diff.
-brake fluid

(the oil & radiator fluid were changed recently)

So, I called the dealer. They want an astounding $1580 to do all of this. Anyone got another store/chain of stores/shop they like? I'm in SoCal in case it matters...

Any reason you couldn't just D.I.Y.? I mean there is more than enough info here on :NAXJA: and other sites. Seems like a great way to get more in tune with your XJ.

wtf are you doing calling the dealership for service on a vehicle from 1988?
people who goto the dealer deserve what they get.

I'll do it for $790. That's half off!

wtf are you doing calling the dealership for service on a vehicle from 1988?
people who goto the dealer deserve what they get.

Oh...make no mistake...I called just to get an idea of what needed to be done/confirm my list. They have a grand master tech there, and I asked him to see if I was missing anything. Thought I'd get a price while I had him on the phone is all.

There are a few things I've had done @ the dealer when I couldn't get them done somewhere else.

This will not be one of those times.

Any reason you couldn't just D.I.Y.? I mean there is more than enough info here on :NAXJA: and other sites. Seems like a great way to get more in tune with your XJ.

Yeah, I thought about that. I've never done any of them before myself. I need to do a search again here on this list I guess to see if it's something I can handle. Now, if any SoCal posters had done it before and wanted to offer advice/counsel in person in exchange for a few dead presidents...

Right around the corner from Johnny C actually...in north OC right now. But I can drive a reasonable bit I suppose...

Yikes. I noticed that it's been waaaay too long since I've had the fluids changed on my 88 XJ limited/4.0/4WD. According to folks I've talked to, I should need to change:

-pwr steering fluid
-auto tranny fluid
-transfer case front (is this what it's called?)
-front diff.
-rear diff.
-brake fluid

(the oil & radiator fluid were changed recently)

So, I called the dealer. They want an astounding $1580 to do all of this. Anyone got another store/chain of stores/shop they like? I'm in SoCal in case it matters...
add coolant to the list.

Front and rear diffs are easy. Pop the covers, scrape the old RTV off the diff housing (being careful not to drop it all over the gears), hose down with brakleen again, use a brass (no steel) wire wheel to remove the RTV from the cover lip, hose that down with brakleen too, throw the covers on with new RTV, fill em back up and you're done.

Transfer case is also easy, even easier in fact. Pull the fill plug first, then the drain plug, put the drain plug back in, fill it with dex/merc till it comes back out, put the fill plug back in.

Brake fluid is easy. Easiest with two people, or speed bleeders, but still, easy. Make sure the reservoir is full, open a bleeder, pump brake, close bleeder, release brake, repeat till clean fluid comes out, make sure you keep the reservoir full. Bleed right rear, then left rear, then right front, then left front.

Auto tranny fluid... unless you want to do a poor man's flush I might actually pay $130 to have valvoline (or any other quicklube EXCEPT jiffy lube) do this.

power steering fluid... remove return line from reservoir, drop it in a bucket, block hose barb with a stopper, fill reservoir with new fluid, have a helper run the vehicle and turn the wheels back and forth while you keep the reservoir full. When clean fluid starts coming out the return line, stop the vehicle and reconnect it to the tank, then bleed and top off system.

add coolant to the list.

Front and rear diffs are easy. Pop the covers, scrape the old RTV off the diff housing (being careful not to drop it all over the gears), hose down with brakleen again, use a brass (no steel) wire wheel to remove the RTV from the cover lip, hose that down with brakleen too, throw the covers on with new RTV, fill em back up and you're done.

Transfer case is also easy, even easier in fact. Pull the fill plug first, then the drain plug, put the drain plug back in, fill it with dex/merc till it comes back out, put the fill plug back in.

Brake fluid is easy. Easiest with two people, or speed bleeders, but still, easy. Make sure the reservoir is full, open a bleeder, pump brake, close bleeder, release brake, repeat till clean fluid comes out, make sure you keep the reservoir full. Bleed right rear, then left rear, then right front, then left front.

Auto tranny fluid... unless you want to do a poor man's flush I might actually pay $130 to have valvoline (or any other quicklube EXCEPT jiffy lube) do this.

power steering fluid... remove return line from reservoir, drop it in a bucket, block hose barb with a stopper, fill reservoir with new fluid, have a helper run the vehicle and turn the wheels back and forth while you keep the reservoir full. When clean fluid starts coming out the return line, stop the vehicle and reconnect it to the tank, then bleed and top off system.

Just to add a little to this from my own experiences.

Differentials:
I found Permatex makes a gasket removal spray which is pretty awesome. It just melts the old RTV away, turns it to a slim and you can almost wipe it off without scraping. Also, leave a few bolts loosely in place to hold the cover from falling all over. A few smacks with a rubber mallet will help knock it loose rather than trying to pry it off.

Transfer case:
Buy a fluid pump(like 5 bucks) that screws into the fluid bottle and lets you pump fluid up into the transfer case(also differentials if you need to). Just to drill the point in more, remove the fill plug first.

Brakes:
Get a set of speed bleeders, even with a helper it makes it so much easier. I just bleed my brakes yesterday actually. With speed bleeders and a length of clear surgical tubing it was a few minute job with all wheels on the ground. I attached my tubing and catch bottle then kneeling next to the XJ and using my hand on the brake pedal I was able to see the fluid/air coming out. With 5-10 pumps on the pedal and I had clear fresh fluid coming out at each corner.

Power steering:
Go to the dealer and get Mopar power steering fluid, it's pricey but made an impact on how my XJ feels.

Transmission:
When you drain fluid from the drain bolt have a funnel ready to put under the drain hole. The fluid drips right down on the cross bar and then it goes everywhere. With the funnel directing fluid away from the cross bar in place it keeps things much cleaner. Don't over tighten the drain plug, it only needs snugged down compared to the engine oil drain plug.

For all the old fluid go get a cheap Blitz drain pan and a Blitz oil container, it makes it easy to store/transport the fluid to a disposal place(any parts store). I think my used oil container holds 10-15 qts or something, makes disposal of oil clear and easier than anything else I've tried. All the old oils(brakes, engine, transmission, differentials, steering) can be mixxed and dropped off, just don't have any water/coolant in there.

With any reasonable amount of mechanical inclination you could do this all yourself. Some guys could do it all in an hour or two. Don't overwhelm yourself, start with one component, move on to the next over a couple weekends.

Nice to have a good level work space, jack(s) and stands, drain pans, etc. Take your time. You can learn alot about your Jeep just crawling around under it for a few hours.

Right around the corner from Johnny C actually...in north OC right now. But I can drive a reasonable bit I suppose...

Is that a hint? :) If you need a hand, I can help out. And for a lot less than my previous quote. It's a known fact around here that I'll work for food.

Is that a hint? :) If you need a hand, I can help out. And for a lot less than my previous quote. It's a known fact around here that I'll work for food.

I wouldn't do it unless he also offers health benefits! LOL!

Negative ghost rider. Keep brake fluid seperate also.
I've never had an issue... they said "no coolant, no water, we don't care about the rest."

At AutoZone all the oils and hydrocarbons go in the same recycling drum - I've helped dump my containers into it before.

Really? I was always told it is fine, I even told the guys at the parts store and they said yea it's fine. Is it the water trapped in the fluid that makes it a no go?

No its the glycol-ethers - ie brake fluid isn't really an oil. Adding it to the oil makes it difficult or impossible to recycle it into new oil products. Some shops or recyclers that collect it are just burning it for heat so it doesn't matter to them.

I've never had an issue... they said "no coolant, no water, we don't care about the rest."

At AutoZone all the oils and hydrocarbons go in the same recycling drum - I've helped dump my containers into it before.

Just dumped a bunch of old ATF at autozone the other day couldn't believe the only had one tank. I may do my brakes this weekend, so I will bring the fluid and see If I just dump it in the same tank.

on a side note, was anyone else as excited as me the first time the went behind the counter? haha

oh and any particular way to see if your brake fluid is in need of being replaced? The fluid in mine now is about 2 years old, but the mopar brake fluid was a good suggestion.

Back