• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Issue

BlackHawk68

NAXJA Forum User
Im driving home just a little bit ago and my check guages light comes on. I look and my voltage guage is pegged at 19. Its still running fine and everything seems ok. I pulled over and shut it off, go to start it back up and nothing, completely dead. I turn the key back wait a few seconds and everything comes back to life and seems fine again. Just kinda freaked me out. Its a 98 Cherokee sport, 4.0 w/auto. Anyone else have this happen?

Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body.

Load test the battery and the alternator, one or both are probably failing.

Clean the battery posts and leads. Happened to my sisters 00 and that fixed it right up not sure if this could help or anything.

Back