• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC compressor emergency - help!

wolverine 00 xj

NAXJA Forum User
I took a 4 hour trip in my 2000 XJ, after just having the AC recharged. Started hearing some noises from under the hood that seemed to be worse when the AC was off. Got to destination, and mechanic friend pinpointed it as bearings going out in AC compressor. I noticed what appeared to be black resin of some sort on the compressor housing, near the pulley. It ran for the rest of the day, and I drove it home. No overheating issues. Then, after letting it set at home for about 1.5 hours, I started it up to move it into the drive. I heard a VERY loud squeal, followed in seconds by smoke from under the hood. Popped the hood, and more black residue around the pulley on the compressor, as well as on the underside of the hood above that area. I put a mark on the pulley, had the wife start it up briefly, and the pulley does appear to be rotating somewhat, but I think the belt is moving faster, causing the horrible squeal. I'm resigned to just replacing the compressor. Taking a trip from Michigan to Colorado in a few weeks, and would rather just have the new part, and not have to worry about if I changed the bearing correctly. Also, motor might just about be seized up.

Questions:
1. I can't even drive this to a shop at this point. I would like to just change the compressor myself, and then take to a shop to vacuum the line, recharge it, etc. Is this something I can do myself pretty easily? I've put in lifts, done disc brake conversion, and other things, but never worked on AC.
2. Does anyone have a good writeup on compressor replacement? Searched, but didn't find one.

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks!

It is super easy, once you get the refrigerant out. If I remember correctly it is just four bolts that mount the compressor and one or two for the lines as an assembly. Take to garage and get it charged. Done!

Back