• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 Code 45 after water exposure

xjh3

NAXJA Forum User
1997 4.0 AW5 183k

After exposing the underside of my Jeep to large amounts of water (ie. carwashes and water/mud that's way too deep) I get a CEL. It stumbles a little at idle, stalls sometimes, runs rough at low RPMs and doesn't shift into overdrive. I do the key trick and get code 45. A lot of sources say code 45 is something about a turbo, but that clearly doesn't apply to me. When I searched a little further, I found something about an overdrive solenoid.

Since I only get these symptoms when there is excessive water exposure, I'm assuming that there is a connection somewhere that is getting wet and shorting out. I looked around the transmission for something that would be getting wet with no luck and under these circumstances the engine bay is dry. Any ideas where to look next?

The key trick codes are very generic (and basically useless), why not stop by the auto parts store and download the OBD-II code(s). The Pxxxx codes are very specific and will give you a more focused starting point for your diagnostics and trouble shooting.

Water and the TPS don't mix well. If your OBD-II trouble codes point to the TPS, it should be replaced.

The key trick codes are very generic (and basically useless), why not stop by the auto parts store and download the OBD-II code(s). The Pxxxx codes are very specific and will give you a more focused starting point for your diagnostics and trouble shooting.

Water and the TPS don't mix well. If your OBD-II trouble codes point to the TPS, it should be replaced.

Here is a link to 5-90's website for OBDII codes--please note the information at the top concerning reading OBDII codes with the "key" method: http://www.kelleyswip.com/obd2.html

So what OBD-II trouble code(s) did you download ? Random speculation about an as yet, undefined problem, is pointless.

Last edited:
So what OBD-II trouble code(s) did you download ? Random speculation about an as yet, undefined problem, is pointless.

Have not made it to Autozone yet. The CEL is off now and never stays on for very long, don't know if it would have been on long enough for it to store it or not.

Codes are stored with or without the CEL, you don't get a CEL for all codes.

Sounds good. Perhaps I'll look into buying my own scanner, this isn't the first time it would've been nice to have one. I'll report back soon.

I just got a CEL and a code 45 today as well... not sure what's causing it either. I've read that it might be NSS related, so I'm going to try adjusting that tomorrow.

My guess would be your TPS. This would cause rough idle, no shifting into O/D, and possible not downshifting. And the old TPS doesn't like water very much.

Bought a scanner. Two stored codes:

122 Throttle position sensor voltage low

1694 No messages received from the powertrain control module-Aisin transmission.

So it seems like my hunch about a shorting connection between the ECM and PCM was right as well as everyone else's hunch about the TPS. Not really sure where to start. I understand that the TPS is susceptible to water but this TPS is less than a year old and the entire upper area of the engine bay was dry at the time of the problem. I've crawled around underneath to try to find some sort of connection between the engine and transmission but haven't found much there either.

TEST the TPS--Renix auto equipped XJs have a two part TPS, one part for the PCM, one part for the TCU.

EDIT: SEE Kastein's post below.

Fixed.

Last edited:
A non-RENIX auto TPS has only one part :thumbup: OBD-I and OBD-II XJs they switched the TCU around so that it expects the same signal range as the ECU.

Measure the voltage on the signal line from the TPS to the ECU. Also measure from the ground on the TPS to the power line on it, if you don't get approx. 5 volts, you have a sensor power supply wiring issue, a bad sensor somewhere on that power line, or a dud ECU.

A non-RENIX auto TPS has only one part :thumbup:
OBD-I and OBD-II XJs they switched the TCU around so that it expects the same signal range as the ECU.

Getting old sucks. Taking Super B-Complex to fight Oldsheimers! Must be helping, I remember what I had for lunch!

Measure the voltage on the signal line from the TPS to the ECU. Also measure from the ground on the TPS to the power line on it, if you don't get approx. 5 volts, you have a sensor power supply wiring issue, a bad sensor somewhere on that power line, or a dud ECU.

..... Not really sure where to start. I understand that the TPS is susceptible to water.....

Always start with the lowest numbered Trouble Code and work you way up the list.

Many times a higher number Trouble Code will be caused by faulty data provided by a faulty sensor. If your TCM is expecting certain data from the TPS and is not getting the correct data, the TCM will throw a code.

Previous threads report that generic (cheap) TPS from the parts store are prone to early failure. I would test the TPS for proper function, or simply replace it.

Back