• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 Master/Slave Help Please

talentjeep

NAXJA Forum User
So I just completed a BA-10 to AX-15 swap.

All was well except I apparently did not route the plastic hydraulic line for the clutch far enough from the exhaust header in my '87 which led to melting and spraying of brake fluid causing smoke and heart attack....etc.

The Master & Slave are undamaged but the plastic line is melted. I managed to obtain the OEM part from the dealer for $225 but that's a lot of money to spend again. For some reason my local Schuck's has the Master in stock @ $37.99 but the slave is "discontinued".

I've considered barbed hose connectors and hose clamps but I doubt that would last long. Has anyone tried replacing the line in the one piece units? Or know of any parts that will work for this?

A friend just bought the complete hydraulic hose assy (MC to Slave) for a '90 AX-15 from Auto Zone for $35 or so. Even if it wasn't an exact fit for your conversion you could cut & double flare the steel portion and bend line to fit.

Compression fittings from the hardware store will work, although you might have to find a short piece of tubing to replace the damaged area.

Compression fittings from the hardware store will work, although you might have to find a short piece of tubing to replace the damaged area.

I'm going to try this since I have nothing better to do until Monday and Schuck's says the slave is discontinued so I'll have to talk to the Napa dudes tomorrow.

So it's a "no go" on the hardware store compression fittings. Fought with the buggers for an hour or so. 1/4" won't fit the OD and 3/8" is too big. Tried various trimming/drilling options but nothing would form a seal due to the hardness of the tube.

Looking into brake line fittings tomorrow after trying a double barbed connector and hose clamps but ending up with too short a line to install the slave.

At least I finally see the way I should have routed it the first time. I think.

1/4" won't fit the OD and 3/8" is too big. Tried various trimming/drilling options but nothing would form a seal due to the hardness of the tube.

You need to measure the ID and OD of the tubing so that you can figure out the size of the tubing.
From your description the tubing sounds to be metric.
Just checked the poly tubing on my '98 XJ and the OD is 7mm or .315.

Last edited:
Replace it with an aftermarket metal line.

You need to measure the ID and OD of the tubing so that you can figure out the size of the tubing.

The stores I have been to thus far only have standard size fittings. No metric.

Replace it with an aftermarket metal line.

Do you know where to get one? I gave up on trying to dink around with this plastic hose and ordered a new master and slave from Napa. They come separate but there was no listing for the hydraulic line and there are no XJs on my junkyard right now. The new master has an o-ring and a pin that holds the line in place.

Last edited:

Do you know where to get one? I gave up on trying to dink around with this plastic hose and ordered a new master and slave from Napa. They come separate but there was no listing for the hydraulic line and there are no XJs on my junkyard right now. The new master has an o-ring and a pin that holds the line in place.

I'd have to google it or something. The factory plastic line was a big fail in the tj's so there is a metal one available.

google is your friend: http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/cPath/2880_327_134/products_id/24319

Just looked in McMaster-Carr catalog and it appears they may have what you need.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#compression-tube-fittings/=7n5uny

Advance Adapters, 60" braided stainless line, comes with one flared fitting adapter to attach to the slave:

http://advanceadapters.com/product/2353/(P/N-716130H)-Stainless-Hose-42"-(-3-style-fitting).html

Get an additional adapter for the master cylinder end:

http://advanceadapters.com/product/...er-Cylinder-Fitting-for-Jeep-TJ-Wrangler.html

Neither part comes with new o-rings, you'll have to source them locally.

Just ordered these for my MJ, should be here tomorrow. I'll post pics of install (probably this weekend).

Jeff

edit: add $12 for shipping, my total was $105 and some change......

thanks guys. i had tried googling, i swear.

at least i know what the part i need looks like and where to get one if i give up on having it ready for this weekend.

gonna go hit up some hydraulic parts shops.

thanks again everyone.

after seeing the parts it finally dawned on me that the existing (melted) line must have some sort of fittings as well. investigating led me to brass fittings!

bingo, a quick trip to a local shop and $25 got me a 5ft 3000psi industrial hydraulic tube with pressed fittings. one day fix. clutch works good and seems to be "self bleeding" over time. we'll see how it holds up but it'll last the weekend!

also it says "Italy" on the side of the new line so I figure that's a 5 horsepower gain (minimum). awesome.

Last edited:
thanks again everyone.

after seeing the parts it finally dawned on me that the existing (melted) line must have some sort of fittings as well. investigating led me to brass fittings!

bingo, a quick trip to a local shop and $25 got me a 5ft 3000psi industrial hydraulic tube with pressed fittings. one day fix. clutch works good and seems to be "self bleeding" over time. we'll see how it holds up but it'll last the weekend!

also it says "Italy" on the side of the new line so I figure that's a 5 horsepower gain (minimum). awesome.

Pictures of said line?

newclutchline.jpg

I was having issues with the pic hosting last night. This is it. Can't recall the dimensions, I basically just went with as close of an inside diam as possible.

newclutchline.jpg

I was having issues with the pic hosting last night. This is it. Can't recall the dimensions, I basically just went with as close of an inside diam as possible.

Try photobucket....
redx2.gif

^^^nice^^^

If I hadn't already ordered from AA, I would've asked you to ask your shop to make me one of those lines and ship it :)

Jeff

Back