• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to Regear in LA/SFV?

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
I need to Regear my XJ and would like to know if anyone knows of any reputable places around the LA or SanFernando Valley who do a good job at a decent price.

I appreciate it.
Pete

Bring it down to Anaheim Hills, RWK!! Robert is a sponsor, is reasonable and does awesome work.

I appreciate all the responses... I will contact them in the next few days.

Does anyone have a ballpark figure of how much this typically costs ?

Pete

RWK
JeeperJohn
Clean RC (not sure how much he's around anymore, but Scott did mine and did great work)

I called around and it seems that its around 1200$ for both axles with new bearings, sound right ?

I would prefer to find someone on the forums who knows how to do it, pay them & learn a few things ?

Pete

All the guys listed here are quite capable of doing the job right.. I would recommend all of them except the cleanrc guy...:D

Grimm... I am still around.. just laying low till the divorce is final..

Robert Re-geared my jeep last week, great suggestion he did an excellent job.

I changed out my speedo gear to a 40tooth as suggested on many charts (4.56grs, 32"bfgATs) since it was way off and i am still off by 6mph according to 2 GPS units, anyone know why ?

I appreciate the suggestions again.
Pete

I changed out my speedo gear to a 40tooth as suggested on many charts (4.56grs, 32"bfgATs) since it was way off and i am still off by 6mph according to 2 GPS units, anyone know why ?

Pete

How are you liking the 32's with 4.56? I was on the fence about what to gear for my 32's. I know the general consensus is 4.56 for 33's and 4.10 for 31's, but since most people don't have 32's, I haven't talked to anyone with that set up. I basically got a free 4.10 rear axle, so thats what I'll end up with, but I was wondering how you like the 4.56

i need to regear my xj to 4.56's but i cant afford the 1200 to have it done =/ and i shouldnt even do the regear until i get a 97-99 front HP D30 to replace my LP d30

Pete

One reason could be that a 32" on the tire doesnt really mean 32" actual most times.

IE:
BFG AT 32x11.5r15
New actual:
OD = 31.7"
Tread depth = 1/2" (ok 17/32 actual but 1/2" is much easier and the same really)

now take that tire down to 1/2 its new tread depth....

Your actual OD is now at 31.1" - 31.2"...

So that means a 32" tire would be closer to a 31" for most of its life.

your 6mph is at what speed? at 60mph thats only 10% not to bad. I think legally a new car can be 3-6%. now if its 6mph at 30mph thats a 20% and ouch!

Also, keep in mind that a GPS Could be using linear distance and not taking in to the equation vertical distance also.

IE and hills during your test would mean you might be going further then the GPS shows distance wise so the speed might show 60mph when your actually doing 65ish...

hope tis cornfused ya some.. :)

Back