• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! No start after engine swap...

xjon

NAXJA Forum User
99 4.0

Just replaced engine with a rebuilt.
Engine turning over, able to smell fuel out of exhaust, Spark plug boot sparking (stunning neighbor).

What could be my problem?

Checked grounds, checked wiring plugs.

Engine was turning slow at first. Jumped battery with another vehicle and now the engine turning normal but no start.

Check the voltage while cranking. Starters are dumb as hell and don't give a hoot about the voltage they get, and are quite happy as long as the amps are there. The electronics, however, HATE it when voltage drops below 9 volts. Put a meter between the battery posts and crank it.

Ok, maybe the 180 distributor.

pull plug number 1, rotate the engine until you get it to TDC on the compression stroke--you can confirm compression stroke by holding your finger over the spark plug hole and air will force your finger away. Remove the distributor cap and check if the rotor is pointing at cylinder number one. If not, re-index the distributor.

My engine is SMOKING!!! :)

Thanks Joe! that did the trick. Thought it would idle rough if that was the case but at least it would start.

Thanks naxja for helping me with this. I know its not over yet but atleast its running.

:party:Glad you got it! :party:

Back