• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Had to change Neutral Safety Switch and have some ??

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
Ok... so I was going to clean my NSS this AM since my '96 has been experiencing the symptoms of needing the work (would start then if I stopped for a quick errand and tried to start my XJ back up it would not do anything... until I ran the shifter to N and then she'd fire up) and it was starting to do that more and more often.

I have done this service about 6 or 7 years back because my Reverse lights weren't working and servicing the NSS fixed that problem.

One small step I failed to do was put some anti-seize on the shaft coming out of the transmission where the NSS slips on. It had apparently seized up and in trying to remove the NSS the plastic backing cracked and also the inner shaft snapped off inside the NSS.

SO... BEWARE as this is not always an Easy fix. Getting the old NSS off can be a bear and you need to be careful not to put uneven pressure via a screwdriver or other means as these can break pretty easily if they're 'seasoned' in age and most XJ parts are that.

SO... I was forced to search around and had to get one at Autozone. Not crazy about their electronic parts but it was the only thing that was available and it cost me $200... Napa had to order it and would be a couple days and they wanted something like $299 and the Dealership wanted $350+ for one... again would have to order and get here next week. That wouldn't work as I need my jeep to get back and forth to work.

OK... so if you've read this far keep on reading.

The AZone part wasn't an exact fit and I had to open up the transmission shaft hole a bit w/a file ... several test fittings and fillings and I finally got it on.

I tested the reverse lights and those work w/the tranny is in R... Also my XJ fired up when in P (park). However, I tried to start up the XJ while in "N" and I got nothing. I did not adjust the positioning of the NSS since I was initially getting my reverse lights and also since she started in P.

Do you think this could be as simple as the NSS needing to be adjusted (i.e. Rotated) a bit or could it just be a 'defective' AZone part and I'm lucky my Jeep started at all?

I took her for a drive around the block and it shifted fine, even when manually running it f/ "2" up to "D". I can tell you for sure that the OE part is of much better looking quality than the Azone part but $$ and Availability limited me on this one.

The NSS typically wants adjusting after installation. Also, you may have had trouble because you'd overtorqued the collet nut around the manual shift shaft (it's supposed to get 62 pound-inches, I usually go with 5 pound-feet, which is slightly less. The adjuster lockscrew gets 15 pound-feet.)

Adjustment of the NSS is relatively simple - have a marker with you underneath and an assistant behind the truck. Block the wheels, turn the key ON (no need to start the engine,) and shift into Reverse.

Slide under, and have your assistant watch the reverse lights.

- Move the NSS to one limit of its travel (doesn't matter which.) Make a mark at the perimeter of the arc of the switch, but not on the switch, as a reference point.
- Slowly move the NSS through its adjustment arc until the reverse lamps turn ON. Stop and mark the switch at your reference point.
- Slowly move the NSS (in the same direction) until the reverse lamps turn OFF. Mark as before.
- Turn the NSS back until the reference mark (on the transmission case or on the screw head - wherever) is right in between the two marks you just made on the NSS body. Tighten the lockscrew (you should have torqued the collet nut before you started doing this, and there's no reason to loosen it.)
- Verify that you are able to start the vehicle in both Park and Neutral, and that your reverse lamps come on as they should.

And did you happen to see if the guts of the Autozone NSS has any lubrication in it?

Next time look on ebay, some guy sells rebuilt NSS for $20. I got one as a spare incase I trash mine during removal, I've been using it since Feb with not problem.

Also on the removal i used a orange mini pry bar that I found on the check out line at Autozone one day. The NSS just slipped of in 10 seconds using this.

Also on the removal i used a orange mini pry bar that I found on the check out line at Autozone one day. The NSS just slipped of in 10 seconds using this.

I spent 4 hours on mine today and it ended up breaking at the end anyway..:flamemad: I'll have to look into that prybar for next time..

I spent 4 hours on mine today and it ended up breaking at the end anyway..:flamemad: I'll have to look into that prybar for next time..

I've got this funky pair of pliers - flat jaws, and when you squeeze the handles the jaws come apart. Come in handy. Don't know where I got them, but I've had them for years...

I as at the orthopaedist's office the other day, and saw a potentially useful little instrument that does much the same thing. Go to eBay, and search for a "cast spreader" - it's the little dingus they use to crack a cast open after the plaster has been slit with a saw. You should be able to score one fairly cheap - and it comes in handy in so many places (I use those inside-out pliers constantly!)

And did you happen to see if the guts of the Autozone NSS has any lubrication in it?

I did not break open the new Azone part. I hope it's set up properly but only time will tell. Best part is this one has a lifetime warranty f Azone... if needed.

Jon... I tried to adjust my NSS as per your writeup and had no success. I put the tranny in R and loosened the adj screw and only had at best 1/16" (if that) of adjustability. When moving the NSS the reverse lights never went off so I just tried to center the NSS best I could. Still only starts in P and not in N, but I'm happy if it keeps starting in P... just woul like it to work as designed. I may do some messing in the future.

Thanks for the eBay tips and the tool tips. I'm going to be searching this week.

Back