• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SoCal XJ FNG Checking In

McKenna

NAXJA Forum User
Whats up guys,

I picked up my first XJ a few days back & was steered to this forum to gain some knowledge. 93' 4 Door Sport 2WD, 4.0 AX15, 186K mostly Hwy Miles. Picked it up for well under a grand and have decided to convert it to 4WD as I have the lift time, shop, & tools at my disposal.

My Plans to start w/ since its going to be my DD/WW is swap the front 2wd axle out with a Dana30 for now, AX15 4wd trans, Linkage, 231J TC, & Drive Shafts. I'm planning on going w/ Rubicon Express' 3.5 lift, SYE, Black Crawler Wheels with 31" BFG TA's wrapped around them. I'm planning I building my own Front winch bumper & Roof rack as well.

DSC00011-1.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome

Welcome! Since you're putting in a new front axle, nows a good time to change the gearing. The manual XJ's come with 3.07 gearing, since you're running 31's get the front and rear axles out of an auto XJ. That will give you 3.55's which will be better than the 3.07's. They're also easier to find. You can pick up a 29 spline 8.25 for the rear for very cheap.

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm Welcomes guys, look forwarded to wheel'n with some of you in the future after this thing is up & running.

Welcome! Since you're putting in a new front axle, nows a good time to change the gearing. The manual XJ's come with 3.07 gearing, since you're running 31's get the front and rear axles out of an auto XJ. That will give you 3.55's which will be better than the 3.07's. They're also easier to find. You can pick up a 29 spline 8.25 for the rear for very cheap.

I'm actually running a 8.25 in the rear at the moment, wouldn't it be cheaper to just Re-Gear than buy another 8.25 to swap out ?

Any recommendations on where to buy the new gears from ? I'm trying to save some Coin to spend on other add ons as well.

welcome to the family.. that may not mean alot now but when you hang around long enough you will see what i mean by family

Any recommendations on where to buy the new gears from ? I'm trying to save some Coin to spend on other add ons as well.
RWKHausSupply, National Drivetrain, many others. check out the NAXJA sponsors and vendors list, they give us members great deals (one of the perks of going red ;)) and usually will give the regular forum users a little break too.

Back