• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ starting problems

rydizzy

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 XJ 4.0 automatic that won't start. Before, it was difficult to start cold and would take me keeping my foot on the pedal to run until warm. After it warmed up, it would start and run fine. Now it won't start at all. It's not getting any spark. Good grounds, good battery, new plugs wires distributor cap and rotor. CPS was changed recently. New ICM. I took the coil off the ICM to make sure the contacts were good. When I put it back on, It started then died right away. Then no spark again.

When you have the no spark condition, are you getting 12 volts to the ICM from the B Latch relay?

So I just noticed the wires from the distributor pick up coil are taped together and one isn't connected to anything and I don't see a wire for it to connect to. I'm pretty sure those wires are supposed to have some sort of connector that plugs in somewhere. I don't know..I'm kind of clueless when it comes to engine electrical stuff. I'm not sure what to do exactly, help would be great.

Ok, in the Renix the synch sensor in the distributor SHOULD NOT be able to kill the engine, it simply provides data to the ECU for the firing pulse of the injectors and if there is no signal it goes to default mode.

For spark we need the ICM, coil, CPS/CKP crank sensor, B Latch relay, and ECU. When cranking the engine, once the RPMs have reached 300, the crank sensor sends a strong enough signal to the ECU for it to determine the correct firing for the cylinders. No crank sensor data, no spark. If the ECU has poor grounds, no spark. The ECU, the ICM, the o2 sensor, and others ground at the DIPSTICK tube. Clean down to bare metal, treat with anti-corrosion material, and make the connections TIGHT. There is one OEM unibody ground--braided strap rear of head to firewall. Replace the strap with a 4 or 2 ga. cable, same process as for the other grounds--strip down to bare metal, treat with anti-corrosive material, and make tight. Adding a second unibody ground from the negative battery terminal to the fenderwell is a good idea.

Testing for a signal from the ECU to the ICM can't be done without sophisticated equipment.

I will be back from vacation on Monday, if you need some wiring info for the synch sensor in the distributor I can get it from the FSM for the 90 XJ then.

Back