• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter issue

BRIANHO13

<- Yum Chocolate
98 XJ

I turn the jeep on crank it over and it runs fine but the starter stays engaged, even when I turn the key off and take it out of the column.

This makes me think its the starter relay, but from searching on here sometimes an ignition switch causes this???????

A little more info. The engine will shut off but the starter will keep cranking.

I would put money on starter solenoid on the starter

Either starter solenoid is sticking or the starter relay in the PDC is sticking. I'd try swapping the starter relay in the PDC first since it's cheaper and easier to get to.

Either starter solenoid is sticking or the starter relay in the PDC is sticking. I'd try swapping the starter relay in the PDC first since it's cheaper and easier to get to.

Agree with dave's advice.

I started it yesterday without doing anything and the issue has gone away.....I went ahead and replaced the relay and will be taking a spare starter / solenoid on my next trip with me incase she acts up again.

also, make sure the small wire on the starter solenoid isn't touching the large wire. It can be close enough for the electricity to sometimes jump the gap and cause the starter to engage.

Back