• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn Signal Issue

hoodride

NAXJA Forum User
A friend of mine has a '98 2wd, 2dr, 2.5, auto, sport with power nothing (yeah weird combo) and when she turns on the left turn signal occasionally the flashers will come on but only in the back. Only happens when the left signal is on. I'm thinking its the clockspring but they still self cancel. Does anyone have an opinion on what this could be? Thanks.

Start at the socket and try to determine the missing element--power, ground, filament.

Yeah that was the first thing I tried, all have power and a good ground, and all filaments in all bulbs are good. Its just strange because sometimes it will work as it should but randomly it will turn on the hazards. I intially thought a ground was the issue because it was random but that's not the case.

Pretty sure that year has the combo hazard/flasher unit, that is where I would go next.

Cool didn't know that, I will definitely test that next time she can bring it over. Hopefully it fixes it, I'm not too excited to have to pull the wheel/airbag, etc.

Turn signal switch. Very common problem in the 97+ models. Happened to mine as I drove it off the lot after buying it many years ago!! Seen plenty of them around town doing the same thing and sold a few switches for them at work too.

BWD part #S14219. Runs $33.99 at Advance.

My money is on the headlight harness plug underneath the air cleaner. It would be about a 12 pin plug. If it's working in the back and not the front it is NOT the clockspring.

Back