• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker specs

1985xjlaredo

NAXJA Forum User
I want to build a 4.0L to run the mud, i.e. high revving? So I was thinking of maybe boring out the block and shortening the crank throws? Something kinda like a an old chevy 302 is built. I have heard this oldtimer guy I know talking about how he used to build 283 motors that could turn 11,000 -13,000 RPMs using needle bearings for the cams and other extensive mods.
I gues to make it short has anyone ever done a destroked 4.0 or anything like this?

You could build a destroker 4.0 with a displacement of 3.6L by overboring the cylinders 0.060" and using the AMC 199 crankshaft (3.00" bore). If you use the 4.0L rods, you'll need custom forged pistons with a compression height of 1.828".

4.0's are under-square to begin with, i.e. short stroke.

All it needs to rev into the 7,000 RPM range is the proper valvetrain. Camshaft selection will be critical, as will valve springs.

You will likely give up power brakes and any sort of a smooth, streetable idle. A pushrod v-8 built for 7k rpm usually idles at 1,200 or so.

CRASH said:
4.0's are under-square to begin with, i.e. short stroke.
I think you meant oversquare since the bore is larger than the stroke.

Back