• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle preparation

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
So I picked up a 92 HP d30 to regear. Aside from regearing, and eventually locking, I was going to upgrade to WJ brakes. WJ steering, maybe more? What else would you do? This is a mild wheeler/dd with 31s, just looking to get as many upgrades as reasonably possible. Also whats the best way to clean these up? Might as well make it look pretty before it goes in and gets all dirty. :D

why the cash on WJ conversion...my factory brakes on the 30 can lock up my 35's no problem, just put good pads, rotors and calipers on... was pretty cheap

steering...the only worthwhile upgrade i think is to go to heims...if ya just wanna beef it up a lil bit just sleeve your tie rod and weld the ends...then toss on some new TRE's

then it may be worthwhile...but stock brakes will serve you just fine, especially being on 31's

I'd do a dual diaphragm booster swap (if you have a 94/earlier) before bothering with WJ brakes. It's cheaper, easier, and probably more gain. On the other hand, the WJ swap does cover a lot of things at once, gives you better steering at the same time. See how cheap you can pick up the knuckles, caliper brackets, tie rod ends, and calipers for (I got mine for about 50 bucks.) Then you can either redrill WJ unit bearings or spend $42 on JKS spacers, add new rotors/pads, throw on the JKS WJ steering linkages for another $191 (or make your own, or cut and sleeve the stock WJ tie rod) and a set of WJ balljoints from alljeep for $90 or so.

This is for a 2000. This won't happen overnight so I'll be able to wait till deals come along. Thanks for the ideas so far.

why the cash on WJ conversion...my factory brakes on the 30 can lock up my 35's no problem, just put good pads, rotors and calipers on... was pretty cheap

steering...the only worthwhile upgrade i think is to go to heims...if ya just wanna beef it up a lil bit just sleeve your tie rod and weld the ends...then toss on some new TRE's

Really? I have 33"s with a dual diaphragm booster, 2 year old calipers and pads, and I can't lock them up. They come pretty close, but no banana. At least not on pavement.

Yup actually Locked em up when the booster was leaking/not working. Took some leg but did(damn old man cut me off and hit brakes). Now I have to pay attention if on the brakes hard not to lock the tires with new booster in (dual diaphram aswell). I'm picky about brakes tho. Run dot3, brakes have been bled to perfection and rears are adjusted very well. My fronts lock before the rears do.

I'd just rather have an overbuilt dd so I can alleviate a lot of worry about breaking stuff when I do my moderate wheeling.

I suggest welding the axle tubes to the center section and reinforcing the inner "c"s with some gussets. A very sturdy diff cover is also a good investment.

yes, do this

as far as the WJ brakes i have them on my rig the rotors are shot the pads are shot and they still stop better than my stock brakes did, i'd say its worth it.

also, LCA skids and a reinforced pass UCA mount wouldnt hurt

Back