• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 cranks but wont start

Anker26

NAXJA Forum User
My 97 4.0 cranks but does not fire. There is no power getting to the coil and none at the fuse. also the fuel pump is not kicking on. I have changed the relays, crankshaft sensor, checked the fuel pump and now I am stuck and on the verge of replacing the ecm. What am I missing? I have a feeling that when I replace the computer, it still wont start. HELP!!!

no power at fuses...bad wire somewhere?..relay/fuse box...might have enough power to turn things on but not others on?..ide check all the power wires..

Hi,
My 96 Xj would crank but not start two weeks ago. I hooked my code reader up to the dash and it said "no link". I was not getting fuel either. The same thing happened a year ago and I replaced the ECM with one from a salvage yard and it cured the problem then. So this time I ordered a rebuilt ECM and installed it and it didn't cure the problem. I spent the next week cheching and rechecking everything in the electrical system. I had power to the coil and ecm but I still had no fuel or fire. The cps checked out with my ohm meter but I replaced it when I received a replacement ecm today anyway and it cured the problem. I would start by checking all your electrical connections and cleaning any that are corroded with electrical contact cleaner. Test your CPS if you have an electrical tester. Just because its new, doesn't mean it isn't bad. Then check your wiring harness from the CPS connector to the ecm.

Back