• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

34/78 Diehard Platinum in a '97 XJ?

BalefireX

NAXJA Forum User
I'm noticing that my jeep takes longer to start after it's sat for a few days than it does after it's been run frequently, and that the voltage drops when I turn on the radio or plug anything into the 12v ports. When I crank it, the voltage shows 9v (that's as low as the dash gauge goes) but it does go up to 14 once it's started.

These things all lead me to believe that the battery is on its way out and as the Jeep is likely to sit for a few months later this year it seems wise to replace it before I try to start it at the end of the summer and get nothing.

From reading other threads here it seems like the Diehard Platinum made for Sears by Odyssey is the best battery available, but it doesn't come in the stock Group 58 size. I've seen threads about people using the 34/78 size with other years but I'm not sure if that will fit in a '97 XJ without modifications to the hood/battery tray. Has anyone done this/runs this battery?

Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

I'm noticing that my jeep takes longer to start after it's sat for a few days than it does after it's been run frequently, and that the voltage drops when I turn on the radio or plug anything into the 12v ports. When I crank it, the voltage shows 9v (that's as low as the dash gauge goes) but it does go up to 14 once it's started.

These things all lead me to believe that the battery is on its way out and as the Jeep is likely to sit for a few months later this year it seems wise to replace it before I try to start it at the end of the summer and get nothing.

From reading other threads here it seems like the Diehard Platinum made for Sears by Odyssey is the best battery available, but it doesn't come in the stock Group 58 size. I've seen threads about people using the 34/78 size with other years but I'm not sure if that will fit in a '97 XJ without modifications to the hood/battery tray. Has anyone done this/runs this battery?

Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

Gotta modify the battery tray. I ran into that problem with my 97.

A DieHard Platinum Group 34 fits in my 2001 XJ's battery tray.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850034000P

You can see the edge of it in this photo. It fit in the stock battery tray.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/4405035331/in/set-72157604557867782/

Interesting... I wouldn't think that the 34 is a different size than the 34/78, but perhaps the '01 has a different size battery tray than the '97 (I seem to remember somewhere that the later XJs are group 34 rather than 58).
Maybe I can get my hands on an 01 battery tray and put it in there.

In any case, your hidden winch is awesome - really clean work.

Interesting... I wouldn't think that the 34 is a different size than the 34/78, but perhaps the '01 has a different size battery tray than the '97 (I seem to remember somewhere that the later XJs are group 34 rather than 58).
Maybe I can get my hands on an 01 battery tray and put it in there.

In any case, your hidden winch is awesome - really clean work.

Good Idea about the battery tray on an 01 I'll pick one up at the pullapart next time i'm there.

When I wrecked my last 97 the battery tray clearanced itself but I forgot to grab it before it got crushed! You could fix it pretty quick with a dremel by just cutting the side nearest the engine enough for the battery to fit and not slide around.

Last edited:
So the 34/78 is just a bit too long for the '97 tray?

I think I'll pull the tray out and dremel that inner edge off for now so that I can get it to fit with the eventual goal of getting a later-model tray.

Flexd, you're pretty happy with the Diehard Platinum?

Just to add what info I have:

I've also heard everywhere that the Diehard Platinum is an Odyssey, which is why I looked for one. Since I couldn't get a Diehard Platinum in Canada, I went for an actual Odyssey group 34/78. It fit perfectly in my '98 battery tray. That seems to suggest that 98+ is group 34, making your odds at the JY a little better.

Also, I can't believe how quick the XJ starts now. Insanely fast! I'd have no way of telling what the voltage is during cranking because it starts almost instantaneously. I can only imagine how it would start with upgraded battery cables.

So the 34/78 is just a bit too long for the '97 tray?

I think I'll pull the tray out and dremel that inner edge off for now so that I can get it to fit with the eventual goal of getting a later-model tray.

Flexd, you're pretty happy with the Diehard Platinum?

I was yes but right now its sitting on the floor because it sat in my wrecked Jeep for 6 weeks before I could get it out and put it on a trickle charger. Its not taking a charge! It does have a 4 year free replacement warranty so I'm just gonna take it back and get another.

Back