• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Codes P0700 and P0743 - Cant pass emissions and get tags until cleared.

epitaphmike

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee 4WD AW4 4.0L. I keep getting codes P0700 and P0743. The Jeep runs fine and seems to shift fine. The problem is I cannot pass emissions in AZ if the check engine light is on, even if it has nothing to do with emissions. If you cant pass emissions, you can renew your tags. ie. not allowed to drive your car on the street. Absolute B.S. in my opinion.

Does anyone know a fix for this or a work around?

Thanks in advance.

pull the light

go to parts store get codes pulled/fix issues

get codes deleted right before emmisions test...

just some options

The light is controlled by the computer, the computer isnt controlled by the light. With the light removed, it doesnt tell the computer that the problem is gone. The emissions computer still sees the problem. I got the codes pulled, i have also cleared the codes, but there is a 30-40 mile drive cycle where the computer will tell the emissions computer that it is not ready. The light typically comes on 10 miles after cleared. Thanks for the suggestions. Any more ideas?

P0700 is a Transmission Control Module, P0743 is Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Circuit and for some reason after just replacing the Fuel Pump it is still kicking back P0463 Fuel Level Sending Unit. It all started after I replaced my second pump and my fuel gauge started going all crazy. I replaced the pump today and all is fine, I cleared the codes twice and they keep coming back.

Back