• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick question about the stock stereo wiring.

ZenDragon

NAXJA Forum User
Was just trying to install a new stereo in leiu of of the cheapo tape player somebody left in there when I bought the thing. I pulled the old stereo out and noticed that they hacked up the stock wiring harness to install it! I hate it when people do that! Anyhow my question for those of you who have had the opportunity to rip apart the dash is; Do the wires from the harness then just spider throughout the cabin from there, or do they intersect another harness somewhere such that I could just replace the wires/harness?

Im trying to avoid having to use a bunch of nasty wiring caps to wire up my CD player harness which I already painstakingly (I burned my finger lol) soldered to a Metra Jeep harness with heat srink tubing and everything. lol

I am confused by the seeming inability of the vast majority of people to adapt a cheap and readily replaceable unit--radio/CD player--to the expensive and difficult to replace unit--the vehicle's wiring harness. Morons.

Get a soldering iron, solder, wire of the correct gauge and colors, heat-shrink tubing, and put in the sweat-equity to repair the vehicle's harness. You will not regret doing it right--unless you really, really, really like electrical gremlins.

Good luck.

I am confused by the seeming inability of the vast majority of people to adapt a cheap and readily replaceable unit--radio/CD player--to the expensive and difficult to replace unit--the vehicle's wiring harness. Morons.

Get a soldering iron, solder, wire of the correct gauge and colors, heat-shrink tubing, and put in the sweat-equity to repair the vehicle's harness. You will not regret doing it right--unless you really, really, really like electrical gremlins.

Good luck.

Yea it drives me nuts, damn wiring harnesses cost like 12 bucks online. Oy. Anyhow yea thats what I was trying to avoid doing, sitting out there in the 100+ heat soldering for hours! haha Fortunately they actually left the factory plug in there, still attached by like two wires. lol I just dont understand why they spent all the time doing that when they could have just done it with a wiring harness in half the time, and just plugged it in. *sigh* I guess you're right though, it will bug me forever if I don't do it right. Damn OCD! haha

Back