• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM radiator capacity on a 97 4.0 AW4

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Trying to find the capacity of my radiator/cooling system so I can flush my radiator. I don't have a manual for it since it did not have one when I bought it. Anyone know the capacity?

If you're actually flushing it, not just doing a drain and fill then you need more than the capacity anyway? I'd buy at least two gallons of concentrate, mix it for four gallons and flush it until you've used it all.

If you're actually flushing it, not just doing a drain and fill then you need more than the capacity anyway? I'd buy at least two gallons of concentrate, mix it for four gallons and flush it until you've used it all.

Well my coolant is Dirty as hell, not a bad head gasket or anything. I will probably get one of those prestone flush kits and go that way. It has no cooling issues but I'd rather see green coolant than dirty coolant before my trip to Harlan.

My 96 takes 3 gallons.1.5 water and 1.5 antifreeze.I knoiw you knew that but I had to be sure.

Ha, thanks dude. I knew its supposed to be a 50/50 mix! :D

Do a flush--not with coolant or tap water. Buy a commercial grade flush, the kind you put in and leave in for 500 miles, then flush with tap water and neutralizer. Then add your 50/50 mix, or if you are worried about the small amount of tap water left in the block go 55/45 or 60/40. Use a good coolant and steam distilled bottled water.

Do a flush--not with coolant or tap water. Buy a commercial grade flush, the kind you put in and leave in for 500 miles, then flush with tap water and neutralizer. Then add your 50/50 mix, or if you are worried about the small amount of tap water left in the block go 55/45 or 60/40. Use a good coolant and steam distilled bottled water.

Well the thing is that my coolant is really dirty and it will probably be time for me to go to Harlan for the Crawl by the time I put 500 miles on it and I really want to take care of it then since its a 300 mile ride one way. I have a buddy helping me with it who is ASE certified and works at the local Chrysler stealership. Your advice is good and I appreciate it but I just can't wait 500 miles to flush it.

That is understandable, I just wanted you to know the best way to do it, if you had the time.

And have a great time on the trail!

That is understandable, I just wanted you to know the best way to do it, if you had the time.

And have a great time on the trail!

It should be a hell of a time. Next time I flush it though I will go with that way!

Back