• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Neutral Safety Switch

heyhar

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know where to find a pin-out for an NSS from a 2001 AW4? I got one at the JY (someone had conveniently pulled the tranny, it was just laying there, I couldn't resist), but the plug seems different than the ones I'm finding by searching. I printed GoJeep's excellent write-up, but his illustration doesn't match what I've got. I'm testing it, but the continuities I'm finding don't jive with the chart that accompanies the illustration of the older one. I'm looking at pictures on Advance's website, and it appears as though they changed (hopefully just the plug) in '97. All of our beasts are '96 and older, so I'll get an older plug and splice it. Thanks

If no one answers this by sometime later tonight, PM me a reminder and I'll check my '98 FSM.

signals should be the same as you guessed, but the connector did change.

The plug is different 97+. The diagrams are all posted.

My 97 FSM shows:
Pin 3 (DB/WT) - common for R/D/3/1-2 outputs
Pin 1 (VT/WT) - 1-2
Pin 2 (VT) - 3
Pin 4 (LG/BK) - D
Pin 6 (BR/LG) - R
Pin 7 (BK/WT) - one side of P/N switch
Pin 8 (BK) - other side of P/N switch

Not sure if these are colors for the wiring harness or switch side of the connector.

My 98 FSM shows the same thing (and same pin numbers) except for the common terminal, which is white instead of dark blue / white.

Pin numbers, holding the connector with the male pins (which I believe is the NSS side, if I'm wrong, hold the connector looking into the wires on the back with the retention clip at the top instead) and looking into the pins with the retention clip on the top, are:
Top right - pin 1
Top middle - pin 5 (not connected)
Top left - pin 2
Middle left - pin 3
Bottom left - pin 8
Middle right - pin 4
Bottom right - pin 7
Middle/Bottom middle - pin 6

Sweet! Thanks Ken. I'm out in the garage right now pulling the plug out of the main harness, cleaning the wires so I can see the colors. I want to swap/splice the 'new' one into my '92- it's getting real bad, mostly from sitting, I think-and clean up the one from the '92 and swap it into my son's '95. I've had my '92 for eleven years, and from when I first got it, the back-up lights have rarely worked.

I'm sitting at my desk, making a chart, to match functions to pin numbers/wire colors. The NSS I got from the yard is from an '01, and compared to the '98 FSM pin #/ color scheme you posted, all are different except for pins 7 and 8. Just adds to the challenge! For $7, what do I want? Thanks to all for the info!

iiiiiinteresting!

I'd aim for the pin numbering and location on the connectors over the wire colors. The wire colors are almost certainly from the wiring harness side not the NSS side of the connector, so I would expect them to be different. I'll have to take a peek at my 98 and see if it's clean enough to read the color codes tonight.

The biggest pain with this is that I want the one that I remove from the '92 to remain intact, so after I clean it, it can be just plug 'n play into the '95. Then, I'll have a spare, once I clean that one. I can just hardwire the 'new' one into the '92, and MAYBE it'll even work! The odd thing is, the two '96s are just fine, back-up lights and all!
I've been through a lot of the wiring in the '92, and I don't think I've come across any connector on any circuit where the wires on both sides didn't match colors. It seems as though, with '96s and '01s, as the models were going out of production, that you start to see odd combos and wiring schemes, in the interest of using up material. My son's '96 Classic, built very late in the cycle, as were all Classics, has every option known to man heaped into it-Up Country and everything. Guess thay had to use up all the 1st generation stuff.

100_1349.jpg

Well, I got the '01 NSS to work in my '92. Shout out to kastien for the pin-out. Now it starts and has reverse lights! Thanks guys...Ray

Back