• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Soft ride shocks?

Mudshack

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ is my wife's daily driver. I put on a Rough Country 2" lift last fall and the Rough Country shocks. Although these shocks would be good for the trail, they are knocking the fillings out of my teeth. Do you guys have any good soft ride shock recommendations for a 2" lift?

Right now I am looking at the Bilstein (had them on a Tacoma years ago), the Rancho 9000's (can set them to soft, and had them on a 4runner years ago) or the Old Man Emu's.

Why would stiff shocks be good for the trail? You should always want the softest shocks that dampen enough. I'm not sure why people EVER "upgrade" to stiffer shocks. It's not a spring.

Soft shocks on the trail (rock crawling at slow speeds) allow for bounce after crawling/falling off of a rock. This bounce will allow for things (i.e. frame, body, exhust) to fall lower than the drop and possibly hit a rock or log. Stiffer on the trail allows for less bounce/sag/compression. I used to use the Rancho 9000s and on the trail they would be dialed up to super stiff, and if I didn't adjust them for the ride home, I would end up jumping out along the highway to crank them back down to soft. There is a HUGE difference.

Soft shocks on the trail (rock crawling at slow speeds) allow for bounce after crawling/falling off of a rock. This bounce will allow for things (i.e. frame, body, exhust) to fall lower than the drop and possibly hit a rock or log. Stiffer on the trail allows for less bounce/sag/compression. I used to use the Rancho 9000s and on the trail they would be dialed up to super stiff, and if I didn't adjust them for the ride home, I would end up jumping out along the highway to crank them back down to soft. There is a HUGE difference.

Ahh OK, makes sense. I never even thought of that

I ended up replacing the Rancho 5000's 3 times over a year and a half due to leaks twice and a broken weld once. Keep in mind my wheeling then was slow trail climbs, no mud other wise street driving and pulling my four winns 16' boat with my S-10 pick-up. Never had 'em on the Jeep and never will after this experience.

How about just finding some JK take off shocks? Check your local craigslist ads.

Back