• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clank or Pop while turning??

Mudshack

NAXJA Forum User
I have noticed at slow speeds that when I crank the wheel to the left, I hear something pop up front. Not small turns like changing lanes, but when turning into the driveway, or onto a 90-degree street. I can't figure out what the sound is...everything is snug. No play in anything.

I also get a similar sound but it seems more like from the rear, when I back out of the driveway when the XJ is cooled off and the first time I touch the brakes I hear a pop and the brake pedal actually jumps down about a 1/2 inch. I sometimes notice it if I have to stop fairly fast for a light, and then when I start off again, I hear the pop from the rear.

I have not been able to locate the sounds. If you all can't point me in the right direction, I will have to lay on a skateboard and have my buddy drive down the street with me hanging on underneath. :wow:

Last edited:
If you all can't point me in the right direction, I will have to lay on a skateboard and have my buddy drive down the street with me hanging on underneath. :wow:
Not OSHA approved :shhh:

My guess is to get the thing up on stands and start pulling and shaking. Have a buddy turn the wheel and hit the brakes. Mine popped while backing out or turning into my driveway but it was my springs front and rear that always made noise. Check those front control arms. Check drive line u-joints for play. Does it stop fine even with the issue? Some thoughts off the top of my head as of the moment.

Stops fine. And the control arms are tight (I can't get them off without cutting them, which I plan on doing here in a month to install my new beefy adjustable arms). I will check the rear springs again. I put on a 2" shakle lift last fall. I might want to check that out without any weight on things.

my 97 makes a pop when turning left also and ive traced it to the steering box :dunno: ... not sure if thats your culprit, just sorta sounds like the same problem. mine turns and operates fine so im just gonna wait for the xj box to blow up and throw in a yj box

Not going to like this, but another idea could be your ball joints. I was having death wobble issues and popping when turning just as you described. I couldn't get any play out from any components during inspections, but after replacing them (just these past few days) I have completely fixed my problem. I've had tie rods do that before too on my Ford. Once you figure it out lets us know.

GOOD LUCK

If it's from the rear check your drum brakes. Also if you have a 96 and up check the output shaft of your t-case. Every Jeep I've bought has had this slip area dry as a bone and popping during any change in direction and speed. If it's in the front back off the steering box bolts and track bar bolts then retorque to specs. The part that has me thinking it's back brakes is the reaction of the brake pedal during the noise. Good luck

Tighten the track bar bracket before getting your panties in a wad over ball joints.

Some of the best advice right here.

It is a fairly common occurrence to experience popping from the frame side trackbar bracket. I've experience it, and upon inspection, found there there was a good amount of play in my the bolt holes for the bracket.

Oh, the bracket. I have been checking the track bar connection to the bracket and although the tie rod end looks 11 years old, it was snug. I will put a socket on the bracket bolts.

I also think the sound in the rear has something to do with the drums sticking "disengages" then popping loose to engage first thing in the morning.

I had serious clanking then i replaced TREs (not the culprit) and the unit bearings and front axle ujoints. The clanking is gone.

Funny you should post that. I dug into the all the sway bar bushings and link bushings this morning.....they were completely shot and were down to metal on metal. I thought that might be the clanking. When it wasn't, I started grabing stuff and shaking. Only thing that has any play is the front axel input shaft. I took off the drive shaft and test drove it. Still clanking. I get at least a 1/4" of movement out of the 3rd with the wheels on the ground. I don't mess with gears!

My toyotas never had any play in the driveline. Were always snug. Is it normal for the front of the Jeeps to have play?

Back