• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

other jeep wheel backspacing

russellUK

NAXJA Forum User
i know its another backspacing question but i simply couldnt find what i wanted with the search. i want to fit 33" tyres and i understand from what i have read here that i need to move the wheels out thus numericaly reducing the back spacing from 5.25"? to aproximatly 4" ?

my question is....in order to reduce costs are there any other jeep/ford etc wheels with a more suitable backspacing? for example grand cherokee? or ford explorer?

I'm running 285/75R16 (approximately 33x11.5 or 33x12.5) tires on 16x8 inch rims, with 4" backspacing. When I ran 32x12.5s on 15x7 inch rims with stock backspacing (5.25") my sidewalls were within a hair of the leaf spring clamps!

Not sure about stock options, but Cragar Soft 8s and V-5s are available with 4" of backspacing for quite reasonable prices (50-60 dollars apiece), I am not sure if they are for sale in the UK however.

wheel spacers are about 300usd here in the uk, new steel wheels are about the same, breakers yard/ebay wheels might be cheaper and i dont care about looks, its all about the off roading! and hopfully showing up the landrover owners!

wheel spacers are about 300usd here in the uk, new steel wheels are about the same, breakers yard/ebay wheels might be cheaper and i dont care about looks, its all about the off roading! and hopfully showing up the landrover owners!

WOW. Can get a used set of 4 spacers here for around 100 US dollars.

because the dana 35 isnt a desireable axle, people have broken them doing u-turns on paved road.

while im sure many people have ran 33's, without breaking on the street, many, many more HAVE broken, on and offroad. hyperbole be damned, i dont want to break away from home! im 2 hours from dirt, cant afford breakdowns due to poor equipment choices.

in mild applications, a stock 8.25 from a cherokee is bolt-in, and a million times stronger.

because the dana 35 isnt a desireable axle, people have broken them doing u-turns on paved road.

while im sure many people have ran 33's, without breaking on the street, many, many more HAVE broken, on and offroad. hyperbole be damned, i dont want to break away from home! im 2 hours from dirt, cant afford breakdowns due to poor equipment choices.

in mild applications, a stock 8.25 from a cherokee is bolt-in, and a million times stronger.
I believe cal broke one on 31s or 32s on gravel... not on a paved road. But one of the NAC guys blew up the spiders in the one in his DD, on stock tires, while driving to the convenience store.

At least for the US crew, it's ridiculous to keep the thing around when there are so many 29 spline 8.25s in the junkyards for ~100. The fact that people actually put thousand dollar lockers, hundreds of dollars of gears and gear setup, and custom fab into saving their d35s occasionally really boggles my mind. If I'm going to spend that kind of money I'm going to toss another 100 bucks on and avoid worrying about the thing blowing up, not hope for the best and make angry posts on internet forums saying the d35 is "just fine" while I "wheel the piss out of it on 33s." Not that I've ever seen someone say that...

ford uses the same bolt pattern (5x4.5) on explorers and rangers, might have a look at them. could be a different ball game in your neck of the woods though. seems like i've seen 6 lug rangers that are on that side of the world.

Back