• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question concerning heads

87woody-atl

NAXJA Forum User
I have a renix motor that left me stranded six months ago(blew a hole in the side of the block the size of a dime, and a hole threw the oil pan) I've trans-planted another motor and head into my jeep. during the tear down of the "new" motor I noticed alot of carbon build up in the intake runners of the head and of the intake mani.

Now that I've been driving the jeep for a couple weeks I've been hunting down and with the help of this commnity of jeep owners have been sucessfully solving all of the problems I've face, thanks agian everyone

so down to my next problem, I've been gettng a ticking sound from the engine bay that is only heard when you are in the jeep driving, the ticking sound is correspnding to the rpms(ex: higher the rev the faster the ticking)

is it my valves, is there to much play in them? Or are my valves seals in need of replacing? Can I reuse my orginal head from my blown engine? Is there a test I can preform to establish if my "old" head is any good?

Check the flexplate for cracks & make sure the bolts are tight. I had most of the same issues & it turned out to be a large crack in the flexplate. JIM.

Also check exhaust manifold bolts for tightness. Check spark plugs and wires too.

Check the flexplate for cracks & make sure the bolts are tight. I had most of the same issues & it turned out to be a large crack in the flexplate. JIM.

IF he has an automatic--he forgot to mention his particulars.

With the VC off, engine running, how is the oiling to the valve train?

Yes I have an auto, sorry for not mentioning that, it's a aw4, the flexplate was inspected, and the bolts were torqued to factory spec with loctight, the mani bolts were also tightened to spec and used anti seize on them, I'll take the vc off tomorrow and try and describe that I see, is there something in particular I should look for?

Yes I have an auto, sorry for not mentioning that, it's a aw4, the flexplate was inspected, and the bolts were torqued to factory spec with loctight, the mani bolts were also tightened to spec and used anti seize on them, I'll take the vc off tomorrow and try and describe that I see, is there something in particular I should look for?

Yes, look for plenty of clean oil and no sludge. Too many of these fine engines are black with it--too few oil changes, too many cold starts/short trips.

If it isn't getting good oiling and is full of sludge I recommend you switch to diesel motor oil. Diesel oil is highly detergent and will clean it up and improve flow through the oil passages. Shell Rotella 15w30 or 15w40, or any quality diesel engine oil.

Back