• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension Progress Pic

Ted Z

NAXJA Forum User
newarms.JPG

it might be too late, but is there any way to re design, re-fab the mount, so you will be able to lower or remove your crossmember WITHOUT having to disturb your front axle arrangement?

I know its more work, but it absolutly SUX to have to secure the whole front end of the jeep, just to say, remove the transfercase....

not to mention, and I found this out the crazy way, it sure is scary having a pair of coil springs storing energy against a loose front axle....it really sucks when one of your chocks quits doing its job, and the springs SPIT out your front axle, and it runs your ass over!

I would have paid money to see that.

CRASH

1-Are you building long-arms or a mid-arm set-up?Just wondering why you made the brackets so long!
2-Are you sure the arms will clear the frame rails?My brackets are about 2.5" further inboard and the arms just clear
3-By mounting the brackets straight ahead you will lose some of the clearance needed by to joint to flex,mine are at about 10* off of perpendicular!
crossmember.jpg

Last edited:
Beezil said:
it might be too late, but is there any way to re design, re-fab the mount, so you will be able to lower or remove your crossmember WITHOUT having to disturb your front axle arrangement?

I know its more work, but it absolutly SUX to have to secure the whole front end of the jeep, just to say, remove the transfercase....

not to mention, and I found this out the crazy way, it sure is scary having a pair of coil springs storing energy against a loose front axle....it really sucks when one of your chocks quits doing its job, and the springs SPIT out your front axle, and it runs your ass over!

Bah! How often do most people (not u beez) need to drop the tranny? You don't need to remove the crossmember to drop the t-case. I've replaced a motor, did the SYE in the t-case ( t-case removed), and still have not needed to drop the tranny. I really don't think it's that big of a deal.
I do suggest you use more then the 4 stock bolts/nuts to mount it back up (the crossmember mounting). It will be supporting a lot of the front suspension now.

JnJ said:
I do suggest you use more then the 4 stock bolts/nuts to mount it back up (the crossmember mounting). It will be supporting a lot of the front suspension now.

With the control arm mounting brackets sticking out from the cross-member as far as they do, there will be added leverage working to loosen the mounting bolts. I'd suggest applying JnJ's suggestion by running some angle along side the brackets to mount them to the frame rail.

Teds_newarms2.jpg

I agree with max.....

and about the thing I said, I don't mean for it to be an issue for you, I'm sure its not....no biggie at all, I was just throwin it out there, cause yer kinda one of those guys who is always looking for the better way.

Crash, of course, I was embellishing a bit. I know you would love seeing my ass get run over and all, but the thought occurred to me as I was positioning the new axle under the jeep with the springs...something moved and the damn axle spit right out! scared the piss outta me! but my ass is fine just so you know.

I did say "transfercase" and I think jnjj was just trying to remind me that you don't absolutly NEED to remove the x-member to remove the t-case...and he's right.

but he must love self-torture and added frustration, since it is soooooooo much easier to drop the t-case/x-member about 6-8" to get at the top bolts.....

its up to ted of course, to decide if that's even a big deal for him, it might not be....I was just throwing it out there, but I'm sure he's already thought about it.

it *is* much more of a pain in the ass to design and build one that ISN"T on the crossmember.....

ted's utilization of the x-member for his mounting points, is definitly the most straight-forward

I see.

I'm sure he thought about this as well, plus it's already been mentioned but if all the suspension is now all of a sudden being connected to the X-Member.....I sure as hell would do more than just the regular 4 mounting bolts :D

I never considered the 'loose' front axle senario by using the x-member as an arm mount. I think I am going to rethink the approach I was going to take in the fab of my x-member and radius arm mounts after reading this.

I am adding angle like MAX suggested.... Don't have time to worry about sectioned, removeable crossmember right now..... maybe version 2.0 will have that....

They are mid-arms, 28" center to center

and as for moving them inboard..... Not gonna happen at this point, about 12" of weld holding those buggers in place..... If they hit the frame rails then they won't be called frame rails anymore, I'll call them bumpstops......

Back