• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Box/ Atomatic Trany fluid pump

98XJLongBuild

NAXJA Forum User
Does the 1998 XJ with an automatic use the steering box as the pump for the trany. fluid??? I ask this one because my tranny all of a sudden runs extremly hot. So im thinking that its the fluid not being pumped thru the trany cooler.

How would I be able to tell if the steering box is going bad???

Also is there a kit to rebuild the steering box???

Thanks-:us:

well one of the lines come out of the trany and then go to the steering box then to the cooler and back to the trany.

Then where do the lines in and out of the power steering box go? It's highly doubtful that your actually right but if you really think it does I'd like to see it. Please post some pictures of said hose routing.

Yea after I installed my larger tranny cooler today it looks like they go to the driver side of the raditor for the motor. Which seem really strang.

They are routed thru the radiator to warm the trans. fluid up.(sounds weird,I know)

thats really dumb. Don't quote me on this bu don't you always want a tranny to run as cool as possible.

Ya after I talked with auto meter about my tranny gauge they said it was possible that it was my ground for the guage not hook good enough.

Also JJacobs would you now when to tell if my steering box itself is going/is bad???

Ya I've seen that graph somewere else, don't remember were thou. Mine now runs, after installing the largest B&M tranny cooler that they have, at around 150 to 170 maybe reach 180 190 on a hot hot day.

Back