• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2WD cherokee sport possibilities?

richcampos

NAXJA Forum User
Ive had my 99 cherokee sport, 2wd, for a few years now. Its only about 105,000 miles on it. I would say thats pretty good. anyways, just looking for some input from more experienced trail riders on what i could reallistically get away with here. Im obviously not going to take this cherokee crawling, as i dont have 4wd, but i would like to take it along some of the local trails. Im in fontana, so i know there is alot near by. Im really just looking for some expert advice on what would be my best bang on mods to help me do some trails.

any and all ideas welcomed.

thanks for the input.

richard campos
1999 4dr cherokee sport
ALL STOCK!!!

Having spent a small fortune on mods, I get a kick seeing how far I can go with one wheel drive, before kicking on the ARB's. Surprisingly, in Socal at least, you can go pretty damn far with wide tires aired down accordingly. With 2wd though, there is no backup plan unless others are there to help you out or you have a winch.
If I were to make a 2wd as capable as possible, I'd want a flexible suspension(stock is flexible, IMO) with swaybar disconnects, decent AT tires and the ability to air down and up, and a lunchbox locker or selectable if you want to spend the coin.
At least you could move that stuff over to a 4wd if you choose to buy one, or convert your 2wd over.

Good tires and a locker will help a lot.

In general, a lot of easy trails can be done in 2wd no problem. Avoid obstacles.

the obvious answer, around here, is that youre gonna have to convert it to 4x4, which is relatively easy, and everyones doing it.

OR build a prerunner, grab the flatbill, and mob deep with tow straps and full sizes. dgaf style.

Craig (cds36) had one hell of a 2wd XJ prerunner. It looked badass and he took it all over the place. Just have to know how to drive, and as mentioned above air down accordingly. A locker would help, and a 4wd conversion isn't very complicated as there are really no electronics you will have to change.

1. locker
2. 4.10 gears
3. winch
4. air down
5. GO FAST!

Mine; 1996 4 cyl. 5 speed. Added parts, all "factory" Cherokee, hitch, front and rear skids, front tow hooks, full gauge cluster. Non-Factory and maybe most important, PowerTrax "Limited Slip" locker. Things I bring along; recovery straps, battery connect air compressor to air back up and a few more things.

We just got back from a short vacation with 100 miles of mountain dirt roads. Been to Death Valley, great place with more dirt to drive than pavement. Claighorn is fine if we stay on the easy parts.

What I do wish we had, maybe more than 4 wheel drive, is an auto. trans. (no clutch to slip to start) and a low range. Even with 4.11 gears we often can't go slow enough over the bumpy bits with the manual.

Try goin on a few runs with us and see what we do, we usually have an empty seat for ya and then you decide what direction you want to go.....SANTA
Best advice given so far :clap:....just make sure to do all types of stuff...go fast AND crawling.

IMO you'll be fine in 2wd. Make it tougher and if you keep getting stuck, then get 4wd, but yea...I digress. :)

i have a 97' 2wd and it gets around just fine, aside from there being alot of driver error. i got a 4.5in lift, 31in tires, stock gears and stock carrier and it does mild 4x4 trails fine. but it really loves to go fast in the desert. just depends on what you wanna do.

I have a 97 that was 2wd and I started out with a short arm RE 4.5 and 33s then got the RE long arms and deaver coils and swapped out the RE AALs for rustys 4.5 leafs and 33s still stock gears and drive shaft and had no vibes what so ever when it was 2wd I even drove it from Atlanta Ga to Cali and didn't have a problem. I recently converted it to 4wd after I found the parts on craigslist and the rest is history. But you can do lots of things in 2wd you just have to commit to it and know where the skinny pedal is! :)

edit: this has been my DD since I bought it and still is

Thanks for all suggestions and ideas. alot of things here i have read in articles. really gets my brain moving. now i just have to make it happen. in time. good thing is, the wife is all for it. she had fun riding on an easy trail in lytle creek.

Back