• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems after Upper Radiator Hose burst.

NateST

NAXJA Forum User
I was sitting in a drive threw getting some food when I heard the beep of the check engine gauges come on ten seconds later steam and burned off coolant was coming out of my engine that is when I assume that my hose burst.

I replaced the hose and took it for a test drive it got perhaps an 1/8th of a mile away from my house when it stalled when I was turning out of a parking lot (Low RMPs). I finally got it restarted and drove it back, the car starts without a problem but it idles rough when in park/neutral or idles high when in gear IE going faster than normal with no throttle. I am wondering if the hose wasn't my only issue because after putting in the tube my car is running awful. Any ideas on what it could be? It was spontaneous so i can't think of any reason why it would just suddenly occur.

Most likely scenario...the hose burst because the thermostat stuck closed. the engine overheated and you damaged something, possibly the head or the head gasket.

I figured that it might be the head gasket/head I really hope thats not the issue, I would imagine I should replace the T-Stat. Is there any easy way to check whether or not the head/gasket has been damaged easily (i'm not a handy person). There weren't any knocks coming from the engine, it over heated then cooled quite quickly as I shut the car down immediately.

change the thermostat and fire it up. Check the oil and coolant. If there's no sign of cross contamination (oil in coolant or coolant in oil), there's hope. You can check the old thermostat by checking it in boiling water and a thermometer. It should open @195 degrees if stock, sometimes people use a 180 t'stat though.
I'd change the t'stat, then keep an eye on temps, and oil and coolant.

take a look at your TPS, they are very sensitive to water...

What doesn't like being steamed under the hood:

TPS
Distributor
PDC (depending on the year--which you didn't mention)
CPS/CKP crank sensor
All the connectors in the wiring harness

As for a stuck thermostat--possible.
As for a blown head gasket--possible.

I would start with cleaning things up, using dielectric grease on the connectors, see if there is coolant under the distributor cap. How old are the plug wires? The plugs? Electricity will seek the easiest path to ground--lazy SOB, so if the wires are bad or the plug gap is excessive, or moisture under the cap, you will get rough idling.

look at the under side of your oil filler cap, if it has a good bit of mayo looking stuff on it, chances are you blew the head gasket.

Back