• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How cool is your older XJ's a/c?

uRabbit

NAXJA Forum User
Mine is... Not so cool. Was only up to 86 here today (very low to no humidity), and the windows don't cut it for the most part. So I turned it on max and set the fan speed to max. It didn't blow that cold. Kept me in a decent temp, but I decided the windows down were better as long as I didn't hang my arm out the window in the sun.

So, since it gets up beyond 100° here in Boise in the summer, I know this a/c just won't cut it. And when my wife starts driving it more when I leave in august for Army BCT, I fear it may be too hot for her and her pregnant belly.

So I was wondering; how cool does this thing blow on a fresh a/c recharge? I'm used to a/c's that will make you shiver if on max in 86° weather. Really wondering if a recharge is worth it. Because I've got other things needing fixed (radiator, tranny coolant line, u-join possibly, etc.).

My 90 is still cold and has never been serviced other than some R-12 I put in 4 years ago.

Its one of the few things I have not had to fix or replace on that XJ

I got lucky and got a 10# can of R-12 for free from a friend to use what I needed. If I have to recharge it again I'm going to convert it to R-134. I have a compressor ready to go when I need to make the change.

I drove a 90 still running R12 untill it was wrecked a year ago. The AC was great and was not charged in the 8 years I drove the vehicle. I now have an 87 XJ for offroad that was converted to R134 by the PO. I have been driving it for 6 years without any recharge and it blows 45*F at the vents.

My 2000 XJ is a different story. The best I can get at the vent is 50*F. I have had to charge it twice a season and could never find the leak. I understand the evaporator is the most likely suspect in this case, but don't want to pull the dash apart. Against my better judgement, I took the risk of screwing up the evap and added one can of stop leak. I won't add any more. Last week I opened the fill port and saw that valve is bubbling oil. I will replace the valve core and see if I found the problem. Tomorrow I plan to order the tool to replace the valve core under pressure.

95 , cool enough that i usually just keep it on low..It was probably recharged, I bought it from a used car dealer and looks like it got repainted,engine bay was cleaned up nice and stuff like that

265--two windows open, 65 mph.

My AC on the 91 and 96 doesn't work at all... never has, at least since I owned them. I'm honestly not sure if my 98's AC works, haven't tried it yet.

Uh, that is not R-12. That is a replacement that may be based on propane or butane. I would not use that.

I would start here: http://boise.craigslist.org/pts/1735821847.html

And Here: http://boise.craigslist.org/for/1790916603.html
Freeze-12 is actually R-134a mixed with HCFC-142b. I checked the MSDS and looked up the chemicals involved last time this subject came up.

My '99 Classic is very cold. When operated on full cold for about 20 minutes, the condenser begins to freeze up and I need to shut off the AC and just run the blower until it thaws. Had the same problem on my '99 Sport. No complaints, though.

I respectfully suggest that people in Oregon and Massachusetts don't really understand the concept - lol! To the best of my knowledge, my wife hasn't been pregnant for 28 years and when my '93 gets a half can low on 134a I start to hear about it. Of course we live in Southeast Texas, one of the acknowledged environmental hellholes of the country if not the world.

'93 converted to 134a by PO with ports only. For six years I've added an average of one can every 1.5 yrs. Will get down to ~42* in center vent w/ambient temp of ~90* when properly charged.

Hey, it gets hot in Oregon! It can even get in the low triple digits for one, maybe two days a year.

Back