• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AJ's super rails- what hardware?

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
Picking up some used AJ's super square rails this weekend. Wondering if anyone knows what hardware I'll need (not included-second hand). I email AJ, but haven't heard back yet.

I may end up just getting the biggest grade-8's that fit into the holes with a drill bit to match.

Anyone have these and know what I'll need?

Thanks

I have them, but installed them so long ago, the sizes of everything are completely beyond my memory. Definitely wait until you have them and go from there. The pinch seam nuts and bolts should be a cinch, as well as the leaf spring nut and bolt on the rear (of the jeep) end. The ones that go into the frame rail will be a little trickier. If you are not beyond cutting a couple holes, you might consider doing nuts and bolts on those, too, or going all the way through with crush sleeves. All 8 of the frame rail bolts are self tapping and just hold it on via the small amount of threading it creates through the rail. With all the pinch seam bolts it is still solid as heck, but a stronger system at the frame rail would be nice. They are designed like that for ease of install, which is a big selling point for me :)

3/8 self tappers for the "legs" and 5/16" bolts and nuts for the pinch seams. Make sure you drill the pilot holes for the self tappers to 5/16 as well.

The self tappers into the frame should be fine, you don't need anything stronger. They are mainly there to hold the whole rail in place. The part that is taking the brunt of the force is the pinch seam and the small L bracket that is welded to the rails to hold it on there. The only time any real force is put on the self-tappers is when you stand on the outer rail.

On a recent trip, I landed hard on the front part of the rail from at least a 3' drop and the rail handled it fine, but completely crushed the pinch seam and rocker panel. The self-tappers in the frame weren't affected at all.

The self tappers into the frame should be fine, you don't need anything stronger. They are mainly there to hold the whole rail in place. The part that is taking the brunt of the force is the pinch seam and the small L bracket that is welded to the rails to hold it on there. The only time any real force is put on the self-tappers is when you stand on the outer rail.

On a recent trip, I landed hard on the front part of the rail from at least a 3' drop and the rail handled it fine, but completely crushed the pinch seam and rocker panel. The self-tappers in the frame weren't affected at all.

I'd like to add that when I hit a Mercedes in February All the self-tappers on the drivers side(where the car hit) none of the self-tappers came loose. they held just fine.

Back