• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken trany line quick-connect

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
i'm removing the radiator in a 98 XJ. the tabs on the quick-connect fitting on the lower trany line are broken off.
i'm pretty foggy on how the connection works, do i push it together, push the tabs in, then pull it apart? it's been a while

how do i get it apart without screwing up the fitting? i'm going to try a small flat-blade to push the inner collar in....

ideas??

thanks!

You light the darn thing on fire and then cut your losses.

Does it have a little plastic thingy in it that you're trying to work on? You can get those out by either spreading the inside set of tabs or compressing the outer set. If not it's probably got a metal clip in there, you spread the tabs in that case. fuel line remover tool will work if it's perfectly clean, the moon is full, and there is a high tide on the second friday of the month...

Else, what I do is (follow suggestions at own risk, with fire extinguisher in hand) heat it up with a butane torch on the outside of the quick connect fitting till the plastic clip inside melts, yank it apart, clean the blobs of plastic out, and replace with a new clip. I actually usually cut the fitting off, jam the hose over the radiator barb line, and double hose clamp it. Hasn't fallen apart on either jeep I've done it to yet.

Well. My issue really is that there aren't any tabs at all, so I'm assuming the tabs are broken off. Its definately a quick connect because I can compress the fitting a little. Heading out to fight with it now. Thanks!!

If it doesnt have the yellow plastic tabs inside, then you need a set of quick disconnect tools. You can get the cheapie plastic collar set for under $10 and it works on trannies and AC fittings too. Ive used the hell out of my cheap set and more than got my moneys worth from it. You cant buy the fittings with the plastic clips inside them anymore, they all have the 4 prong metal clips that require the special tool to get it out. But even then, it can be tricky. Ive ended up eviscerating one of those clip setups because one just wouldnt let go.

i couldnt get it so i cut it..... i'll look for a set of those tools next time i'm at the store. looks like we're putting an external cooler in front of the new Rad :)

Yep, newer ones have metal prongs pain in the butt to get out even with tool. Got mine out but leaks like crazy after putting it back in, just gonna do like everyone else said cut it off and use hose/clamps on that mofo.

If it doesnt have the yellow plastic tabs inside, then you need a set of quick disconnect tools. You can get the cheapie plastic collar set for under $10 and it works on trannies and AC fittings too. Ive used the hell out of my cheap set and more than got my moneys worth from it. You cant buy the fittings with the plastic clips inside them anymore, they all have the 4 prong metal clips that require the special tool to get it out. But even then, it can be tricky. Ive ended up eviscerating one of those clip setups because one just wouldnt let go.

Back