• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEW AX-15 installed - weird issue

I had a rebuilt AX-15 5-spd installed in my 97 4.0 last week, and I now have a weird "scraping" noise under hard braking or when hitting a hard bump. Sounds simialr to when a tire rubs on the plastic fenderwell. But it seems to be under the tranny, and never happened prior to the new tranny.

Also, my tranny guy said the rebuilding company recommends using synthetic MOTOR OIL (10w-30) for tranny fluid(?!?). He insisted it helps with cold Wx shifting, but I know about the all-controversial GL-5 vs. GL-3 lube controversy and errors in the Chryco owners manual. I've got a one-year warranty, but now I'm nervous.

===========================
Also, my tranny guy said the rebuilding company recommends using synthetic MOTOR OIL (10w-30) for tranny fluid(?!?). He insisted it helps with cold Wx shifting,
===========================
Is cold weather shifting quality an issue with you?
If so, give it a try.
The truth is the trany rebuilder just wants to keep so many trany fluids on hand. So that's what you got in it when he was done. He could not care less about cold weather shifting quality. But the fake stuff is good stuff so go with it.

Use GL3 fluid!

It's harder to find but the AX-15 doesn't really like GL5 (the common stuff), I'd bet this is what the transmission guy was getting at (he might not know about the GL3 thing with the AX-15)

GSequoia said:
Use GL3 fluid!

It's harder to find but the AX-15 doesn't really like GL5 (the common stuff), I'd bet this is what the transmission guy was getting at (he might not know about the GL3 thing with the AX-15)
Normally G Id agree with you but I run mobil one 20-50 in my rebuilt ax-15 for around 10,000 miles later now and have no problems. Even shifts smooth in the cold.

I also run Mobil-1 gear oil in my AX15, have over 330,000mi on it BUT it's the OLD mobil-1, Pre GL5, I bought two cases way back when I first got it and just used the last quart about a year ago, the new stuff is rated GL5 and even Mobil's tech page does not recommend it. The oil going in this weekend is Redline MT-90, rated GL3/4 and recommended for the Asin manual trannies. Regular gear oil is just too darn cold blooded around here in the winter and makes second gear almost impossible to get into without rounding off the gears.

Flash - I'm a little confused about your response.
"ex."? extension?
As to the GL-3/5 vs. 10w30 synth issue. I guess I'm going seek more opinions - maybe even from Aisan or Chrysler - as I'm worried about some of the horror stories I've heard about the GL-5 issues. Got too damn much $ tied up in this pig to keep throwing more at because my tranny guys lazy!
Thanks again!
G

gmars said:
Flash - I'm a little confused about your response.
"ex."? extension?
As to the GL-3/5 vs. 10w30 synth issue. I guess I'm going seek more opinions - maybe even from Aisan or Chrysler - as I'm worried about some of the horror stories I've heard about the GL-5 issues. Got too damn much $ tied up in this pig to keep throwing more at because my tranny guys lazy!
Thanks again!
G

ex.=Exhaust. The more common Abb. for it is exh. Stick with GL3/4. I ran GL5, shifted funny after a while. Used Redline MT90, works as it did before the GL5.

apparently chrysler no longer has the gl-3 oil, and will recommend 30w gear oil. a few people have mentoned it on the comanche board.

Back