• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Repaired AC, then overcharged it... Tips?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport (factory AC)

Hey everyone,

My AC system had been leaking due to a bad valve in the low-pressure recharge port, which I was able to successfully replace on Friday. Due to misinformation, I put in 3 cans of R134a (36 oz) before someone finally gave me the correct "first charge" volume - 20 oz (I was about to buy a 4th can when this information came to light).

I left things be, and the next morning I started my car and turned on the AC only to have the compressor seize and make horrible noises (not to mention smoke from the belt grinding across the seized pulley). The issue goes away once the entire engine bay is "hot", but I still know this is far, far from ideal... I don't want to risk damaging the compressor or the rest of the system, as I like <$50 repairs.

Now, at this point, I know taking it to a professional is the best way to go, but in the interim I'd like to drain off some of the excess refrigerant. What's the best way to do this? Should I use the little recharge hose (but without a can attached) and simply drain it slowly? Any tips you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Campbell

Trying to avoid a professional repair on this one, honestly (due to lack of time and funds). Where can I find a refrigerant recovery kit/tool? Also, what's the target/ideal pressure on the low-pressure side? The AC blows cold as ice at this point.

Please do not put your personal miserliness ahead of the ozone layer and vent it to the atmosphere. Even if you found a tool, what would you do with the recovered refrigerant? Having a pro drain and properly dispose of it can't cost THAT much and then you can still be a El Cheapo and charge it back up with cans from walmart. R-134 isn't as bad a Freon but it's still bad.

I am not advocating venting it to the atmosphere as R-134a is considered a greenhouse gas, but to clarify the statement above, R-134a does not pose a risk to the ozone layer as it contains no chlorine or bromine.

Hmmm this might not work, but...

You could find an empty R143a canister, or something with the same fitting and rating. Make sure it is empty. Then reconnect it to the AC system in the same way you filled it up in the first place. The can will be empty and not pressurized, so the refrigerant could flow back into can. In effect, recovering it.

I don't really know if that would work, maybe worth a try though...

Back