• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird Tranny issue

bowzone_mikey

NAXJA Forum User
Ok then 95 sport 4x4 AW4, 247000 KMs (153 000 Miles)
I was driving to work today and my tranny just went into "saftey mode" ... wouldnt shift out of first, I pulled over ... wouldnt shift into reverse, Turned the Jeep off .. waited 15 seconds turned on and drove fine again the rest of the way to work
... I installed a cooling fan switch today and I ran it off of fuse #2 (Radio, Cig etc... switched source according to owners manual )using one of those Add-a Circuts . When I had the jeep off I pulled the add a circut out and replaced the orginal fuse. I have since moved the add a circut to fuse space #4 (according to manual, Flass to pass, constant powered)

Tranny control unit? possibly on its way out ??? I have never heard of such an instance... If so .. are all years compatible with a 95 ... the local JY has a couple of sweet newer Xjs in

WTF? Over?

***a side note Pobally not related but could be relevent,
Last week I had the Tranny replaced with a lower milage used one(the oil was good and red), while the tranny was out I had the cooler lines replaced and cooler flushed, All done by a shop that knows their stuff and is extremly reputable here, however not alot of expiriance with the Cherokee Trannys, Mine was the 3rd XJ that they could think of.... I suspect because the AW4 isnt that problematic of a tranny typically.

The original had lost 2nd and was losing 4th and was also puking out the front ....

Could be the TCU/solenoids, maybe a connection in the harness is corroded and heating up and causing the problems.

I would unplug the TCU and clean the contacts and treat with dielectric grease, then do the same for the connector under the XJ where the trans connects to the harness.

The usual first step in diagnosing driveability issues is to unplug the TCU and drive shifting manually. You will have 1st in 1-2; 3rd in 3; 4th in D; reverse, park and neutral. If you get those results, then the problem is going to be electrical in nature rather than mechanical/hydraulic.

The throttle position sensor is very important, and should be tested and replaced if out of specs--it isn't adjustable on the 91+. I don't think the TPS would make it "hang" in first gear all on its lonesome.

Well my mechanic and I took it out this morning and it felt like it slipped when it got worked up ...stop shut the jeep off for a few seconds ... started up and drove away .... He was almost thinking loose bands or stuff blocking the pump pick up ... when you shut the jeep down the pump obviously stops and aparently there is no check valve to keep the line charged so fluid would drain back into the pan ...clearing the screen momentarily

I know nothing about auto trannys ... they are Voodoo to me

Does this make sense to anyone?

What transmission fluid was put into it--please don't tell me ATF+4.

dunno ...
either way got a new one comming on warrantee

fairly convinced that the place down south did all the work and the shop just did the install ... I will get them to drain flush and refill with Dex III when the new one gets here on wednesday

Sounds like a plan!

Please post up on your thread when it is fixed.

Back