• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new or modded trackbar for 3" front lift

Bathgate

NAXJA Forum User
Will i need to do something with the trackbar with a 3" lift? I rat packed the rear leafs and have grand cherokee springs with a 1.75 spacer coming this week.
Ive searched the forums to no avail>:nono:

You may want to drill a new hole in the mount to extend the TB towards the pass side a little bit. It wont be bad though.

Ive got a 96 sport 3 inch Rustys on 31s and I haven't had any issues w/ the stock TB. In fact its a DD and I run no front swaybar. Rides way better than stock little sketchy in sharp turns while braking but especially better off road. :looney:

Thanks. I will not do anything initially. However basic goemetry suggests it will move unless I'm missing something.

I to have a 96 with 3in lift and 2in spacers and still have the fct. trac bar and the axle sits fine under it.It's also my DD.I wheel it on the weekends.

That's it ! No new trackbar, no drilling unless I see or feel a difference in the axle. Thanks for the responses. If anything unusual happens I'll post.

Last edited:
my first lift with 3" on my 89, the axle was moved about 3/4" toward the drivers side.

i went with an adjustable trackbar about 6 months after the lift install.

You can get a track bar relocating bracket that will properly locate the axle under the vehicle. You will have to adjust the drag link to center the steering wheel.

no get a track bar with a heim joint at the end that bolts to the body.
you will eventually be fighting death wobble. i have an 89 xj with a 3 inch lift and this happened. with the heim your slack in the steering wheel will almost completely go away. its cheap to build i made mine for just over $40 and i used a ruffstuff specialties heim and insert with misalignment spacers and used 1.5 inch .250 wall dom tubing

Yea +1 on etting a trakbar
I had 4.5" and even had an adjustable trackbar and it still broke!!
Lesson of the day is that Trackbars that use tie rod ends are a no-no. I bought a TNT Customs Unit and have been totally satisfied since!

The unit that broke was a Rustys fyi*

A little hs geometry tells me that a 3" lift pulls the axle over exactly .42". This can be corrected with a .41" longer trackbar. I think taking some of the bend out of the trackbar around the differnetial would be realtively easy and safe. Any thoughts?

I think taking some of the bend out of the trackbar around the differnetial would be realtively easy and safe. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a bad idea to me. I'd be afraid of weakening it. In all likelihood it would be fine, but the benefit doesn't seem worth the risk. With a 3" lift I ran with the stock trackbar for a couple years. If you looked for it you could tell the axle was off center. When a good deal came up on a used trackbar I bought it. I recommend doing the same. Live with it for now, but keep your eyes open a used one.

Back