• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just want to know if this is the trans "super cooler" that everyone is using.

austinaubinoe

NAXJA Forum User
Just want to know if this is the trans "super cooler" that everyone is using.

Ok so I bought a $70 haynes performance trans cooler at autozone, but I am going to return it to get that sweet B&M supercooler from JEGS.

There seem to be 3 sizes:

-11x 6x 1.5---------------24,0000 BTU

-11x 7.5x .75--------------13,000 BTU

-11x 5.75x .75 --------------9,800 BTU

FYI, Im removing my AC system, and im not using the stock transmission cooler.

There all about the same price, leaning towards the 1st one.

Here is a link If you care to look.http://www.jegs.com/i/B&M/130/70264/10002/-1

Re: Just want to know if this is the trans "super cooler" that everyone is using.

I think the 70268 is more commonly used (that's what I'm using after seeing it listed in several threads and writeups). The one you list would have been a very tight fit behind the grill, and I didn't want the cooler sitting right on the condenser.

Re: Just want to know if this is the trans "super cooler" that everyone is using.

Ok so I bought a $70 haynes performance trans cooler at autozone, but I am going to return it to get that sweet B&M supercooler from JEGS.

There seem to be 3 sizes:

-11x 6x 1.5---------------24,0000 GVW; 14,000 BTU

-11x 7.5x .75--------------13,000 BTU

-11x 5.75x .75 --------------9,800 BTU

FYI, Im removing my AC system, and im not using the stock transmission cooler.

There all about the same price, leaning towards the 1st one.

Here is a link If you care to look.http://www.jegs.com/i/B&M/130/70264/10002/-1

Fixed, and that one should do it.

I think the 70268 is more commonly used (that's what I'm using after seeing it listed in several threads and writeups). The one you list would have been a very tight fit behind the grill, and I didn't want the cooler sitting right on the condenser.

Removing the ac system (Read: condenser is going in parts bin)

Sorry about the mix up about the number of BTU's. Dont fully understand how the rate the coolers, but bigger the number the better right!

I did a little more reading, should I be worried about cooling the tranny to much? Thats probably a stupid question........

I did a little more reading, should I be worried about cooling the tranny to much? Thats probably a stupid question........

How you use your Jeep (e.g. towing, crawling vs. highway, cruising) is how you should figure your cooler needs. Just a simple cooler, tube 'n fin, that has at least 4 passes thru it will cool twice, maybe 3 times the wimpy stock cooler. You don't have to get the same cooler that an F250 towing a 5th wheel up Donner Pass would need.

You don't have to worry about the tranny being too cool unless you eliminate the radiator loop and you live in...well, where you live...where the temps go below freezing all winter. It's not a stupid question, but it's worth noting. Cooling the tranny isn't rocket science though.

I eliminate the rad loop in the summer (95-105F all summer here) and re-connect it in winter. It rarely dips below freezing here unless I'm up at Tahoe or Siskiyou. Then the "heat exchanger" in the radiator warms the tranny fluid to a decent minimum temp ~~125F, and the cooler keeps it right about between 125-140F.

Even in the summer without the rad loop my temps in the tranny run ~120-180F, towing, on the freeway, going 65. The hottest I've had the tranny is about 210F on a hot day up a trail going 5-10 mph max.

Last edited:

ParadiseXJ is right, where you live plumbing the cooler so you can switch it back through the radiator during Winter would be a good idea.

DONNER PASS--why do I always think of having a few friends over for BBQ when I read that?

I can't see why one couldn't use the condenser as a transmission cooler if you are no longer gonna use the a/c system. Is there any reason why this wouldn't be a good way to re-purpose a condenser section and save money and installation time?

I can't see why one couldn't use the condenser as a transmission cooler if you are no longer gonna use the a/c system. Is there any reason why this wouldn't be a good way to re-purpose a condenser section and save money and installation time?

I did this when I lived in Texas it worked well as far as I could tell 300,000 miles and it's still all stock

ParadiseXJ is right, where you live plumbing the cooler so you can switch it back through the radiator during Winter would be a good idea.

DONNER PASS--why do I always think of having a few friends over for BBQ when I read that?

LOL. I had that same thought just yesterday when a trucker friend of mine told me a story about driving over Donner Pass in a blinding snowstorm!!

We're sick....

I think a common dinner invitation in Truckee is:

"C'mon over, we'd like to have you for dinner"

Back