• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine manifold studs...necessary?

xjon

NAXJA Forum User
Theyre the two studs without the threads seen in this pic..
1276452527.jpg

my long block didnt come with them and if you look inside the hole you can see the head bolts. Tried pulling them out but no luck...any suggestions?

Not studs, alignment dowels. The replacement head I bought a few years ago didn't come with them, but the local dealer had several on the shelf.

You don't need them but getting your intake and exhaust manifolds properly lined up during installation will be a lot harder without them. They hold up the gasket too before you put the manifold back on also. Are there holes for the studs to be inserted?

yes there are holes for the alignment dowels to be inserted. You can see the bolt for the heads through the holes.

As far as lining up the manfolds and gasket I can just use the stud holes instead of the alignment holes.

playing it safe...going to dealer and asking for the part tomorrow.

dealer doesnt have them.

does water go through these holes? Im thinking ill leave these holes empty since I can use the engine studs to align the gasket and mannifold.

I sort of doubt it, but I could be wrong. IIRC, I just lightly tapped the dowels in place when I replaced mine.

I'd put them in... tough to get everything properly aligned otherwise, the gasket may slide into the threads on the studs and be a little off.

The dowels are part number J317 2318 if you want to buy them somewhere. Mopardiscountparts wants 2 bucks a whack, your dealership can probably order them for delivery in a day or two.

I believe the only bolt that goes through the water jacket is #11 on 6 cylinder engines. I don't think you need to worry about not having the studs in because no water goes through the bolt holes that are exposed. Hopefully someone who is 100% positive can chime in as I've never seen a block without the studs before.

I'd follow kastein's advise.

Last edited:
If it was mine, I would want the stud. However, enough people have cocked their intake manifolds that If I was doing mine today I would give the holes for the studs a little hit with a tapered reamer to "break" the edges of the holes.

EDIT: most machine shops should be able to fix you up with some studs.

No luck with machine shops...must be lazy day. Tried 3 of them and quick answer is no.

Just bought some 7/16 bolts and was planning on cutting head and threads off with a die grinder. but measuring the dowel and the bolt the bolt is .008" bigger and that would be a very tight fit in an already tight situation.

Have you already turned in your core? Can you pull the studs from the old head?

been sweating wrestling with it. No luck.
Dealer will take a week to get!

Any ideas on how to take off. Tried the blue wrench (torch), no luck.

Heating the pin will be counter productive, that will just make it tighter in the bore as it expands. You might try freezing the pin (dry ice, etc.,) that may make it easier to extract.

Back