• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling system questions

itbrokeagain

NAXJA Forum User
Alright here goes. I picked up my 98 4.0 auto limited with some front end damage. Replaced everything but did not put a condensor back in. This past week I fixed the AC system because I decided it was time. Now I have noticed on the trail, AC on or not, and going slow it runs about 212 to 213ish. It is enough to kick on the elect fan. Never happened before I put the new condensor back in. I do not have a shroud (cant find a decent one in the JY yet but one is going to go on) and I do plan on the Zj fan clutch upgrade. Is this enough to keep it cool or do I possible\y need to look into a high flow water pump and possibly even an aluminum radiator? It is only going to get worse because my build will be pretty big. I want to stop all the issues before they happen if I can.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Oh yea, right now stock gears, 31s and a tranny cooler in front of the mechanical fan. Would moving it to the other side make that big of a difference?

............ Now I have noticed on the trail, AC on or not, and going slow it runs about 212 to 213ish. It is enough to kick on the elect fan. Never happened before I put the new condensor back in ............

Putting the AC condenser back in has reduced airflow to radiator therefore the fan needs to work harder at slower vehicle speeds.

Ohio temps getting a bit warmer at this time of year ??? ..... warmer air = less windchill factor on the radiator.

The above are a couple of factors that a high flow waterpump "might" bandaid fix ..... but wont cure.

Shroud seems to be a nescessity with oil cooler / AC condensor & radiator fitted .... so a replacement is a good idea.

Condition of the current fanclutch ??? ... a gazillion years old or less than 60,000 miles ??? ...... ZJ or a heavier duty one is a good move ... as per joe_peters comments.

New aluminium radiator ??? .... Is the old radiator worn out ??? ... Construction materials regardless - get a better capacity/cooling radiator than the factory unit when you need a new radiator IMHO.

Keep the cooling system clean ;)

And as mentioned above - No mud or bugs in the fins .... and even giving the fanclutch sensor spring can make a difference.

212'f is the typical XJ running temp ... the trick is ensuring the inadequate factory cooling system ( especially an aged one ) is in peak condition to maintain that temp under all driving circumstances.

Or make a decision about what temp you want it to run at ... and set the system up accordingly.

I have had the Jeep about 9 months. It had enough front end damage to total it. I had to pull out the core support and put a new radiator in it. I went with stock replacement. The outside temp is around 80 to 85 right now. Everything appears to be clean up front so I dont think its an airflow issue. Winch is not on yet. Sounds like a Zj clutch is a good place to start.

Oh yes it has 152000 miles and it probably is the original clutch. Sure looked like the original belt.

Any chance it had a two-core radiator and the parts Dude sold you a single-core?

Back