• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing Passenger Seat

Rattle Trap

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of replacing the rear floor pan in my 93 XJ. The floor is rotted pretty bad on the passenger side of the vehicle. It is rotted over the exhaust to about halfway under the passenger seat. The rear floor pan I recieved from Quadratech should cover it. I will have to remove the passenger seat in order to do this correctly. Is it a major PITA to remove the passenger seat? How do I remove it? Is it as simple as just unbolting it from the floor or is it probably so rusted underneath that whatever holds it on has to be burnt off with a torch? Any suggestions on how to remove it would be much appreciated.

4 13mm nuts?

the stock trim peice gets in the way, but once its ripped off, its just 4 13mm bolts.

ive taken my front seats out probably 50 times in the last 4 months, it takes me about 2-3 minutes to remove both.

Both my '99 and '95 are the same, 4 fasteners is all that hold it in. The front 2 are bolts (13mm socket) are screwed into weldnuts. These weldnuts are inside a support channel. The rear outboard mount has a weldnut under the floor, the bolt (13mm socket) is inside. The rear inboard fastener is a larger stud welded to the floor and a nut (18mm deepwell socket) inside.

Due to northeast rust on my '95, I broke a lot of the bolts off. Grinding and re-welding a new nut under the floor for the rear one was no problem. Grinding and banging out the front 2 inside the support cahnnel was a little trickier. I then made nut plates and slid them inside the channel.

When I took the seats out of the '99 (to dry the carpet out...grrrr, firewall leak), the hardware came right out. Gotta love a southern 'car'.

Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow. I was fighting with those plastic trim pieces today. Tomorrow I will just rip them off so that I can access the bolts. I was being too gentle with them trying not to cause damage.

A 93 will have 4 nuts on them either 13mm or 1/2" will fit. They screw onto studs which screw into threaded inserts in the floor. If the nuts spin freely then just keep pulling them and it will pull the stud out with it then can be replaced with a regular bolt.

Back