• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 Proportioning valve.

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm in the middle of doing my 90 abs to 96 non abs conversions and I was wondering which lines go into A,B, and C on the prop valve. Thanks.

9400bb61.jpg

Also after going to 4 different parts stores to pick up my fittings I could only find steel line nuts. Will these be ok with brass fittings?

Not sure about the brass fittings. I just robbed the fittings from my 96 parts XJ. You can use the old fittings with new lines but they are "bubble" fittings, not "double flare"

I couldn't use the old fittings the person I bought it off of used vice grips...

I'm pretty sure C is rear.

I guess it doesnt matter much which front line goes to which port.

being that proportioning valve is supposed to proportion I do believe it will matter.

The F/R has more brake line between it and the MC then the F/L.

I'd much rather do it right once then have it pull to one side and have to redo it.

Thanks guys.
Did you check that trail rider? just want to make sure since you both said differently.

IMG_0557.jpg

Found this in a related thread. Thanks again.

So on to another question. As I mentioned the line nuts were heavily damaged and line C is completely stripped and stuck in the adapter. Luckily this is the only weird adapter... (sarcasm)

anyone know where I can get that adapter?

Thanks guys.
Did you check that trail rider? just want to make sure since you both said differently.

Yes, I just double checked both of my 96's and my 90 that was converted to a 96 booster/MC.

I would have shot a pic but its impossible to get a camera down in there to snap one.

I would hit the local pick-n-pull and just get the fittings off of one there, you can also get the 2 lines that go from the MC to the PV and it will be a "bolt-in" operation.

Note, I reused the PV that was on my 90. I was told they are the same all years. If anyone knows any different, please post up!

My brakes are better on the 90 but still not as good as they are on the 96's

Yeah I bought the mc and the pv together luckily so I only need to do the 3 lines.

Did you do the 1/4 inch of washers between the firewall and your booster?

I was doing the ABS delete too so my old prop valve was crazy.

Thanks guys.

Hmm, I had gone out and double checked on my '99 and the stock brake lines were set up on mine how I posted. I didn't bother to open the hood on my '91 I did a '95 booster swap in though.

I don't think it really matters, both fronts receive the same fluid pressure.

Thank you for posting that! I'm sure you saved me alot of time and anger. That should really be cleaned up and added to the FAQ I haven't seen it on any other write up.

Back