• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8" axle swap questions

greenjeep93

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I have read numerous amounts of threads about 8.8" axle swaps but I can't figure out how to calculate and get the angle correct. I am also in the process of installing a rc 6.5" lift. Any help on angle and how to calculate and get the angle I need would really help. Also maybe a couple other links

thanks,
Marco

Use a magnetic angle finder on the part of the block where your tranny mounts. This is your crankshaft angle. Next set the pinion angle 1*to 2* lower than that, to allow for pinion climb on acceleration. Use the angle finder, easy. Pinion angle can be measured on the flat of the diff where the cover mounts or on the strengthening web that is cast into the case.
The angle can be adjusted +/- 90* to account for if the measurements are taken either vertically or horizontally.
Be aware that there are differences on how this is done depending on if you have a stock DS or a double cardan with a SYE.

Last edited:
the way deccribed above is for a double cardan style driveshaft with a sye. if you still have a stock style slip yoke, then set your pinion angle 1 to 2 degrees below the transmission output shaft angle. once you have the pinion angle set, put the spring pads on, level them and burn em in.

do you have an sye? stock style slip yoke? you need to find your driveshaft angle if you have an sye (just measure it) or your trans. output shaft angle if you have a slip yoke.

Use a magnetic angle finder on the part of the block where your tranny mounts. This is your crankshaft angle. Next set the pinion angle 1*to 2* lower than that, to allow for pinion climb on acceleration. Use the angle finder, easy. Pinion angle can be measured on the flat of the diff where the cover mounts or on the strengthening web that is cast into the case.
The angle can be adjusted +/- 90* to account for if the measurements are taken either vertically or horizontally.
Be aware that there are differences on how this is done depending on if you have a stock DS or a double cardan with a SYE.

Crankshaft angle? Do you mean driveshaft? Because the crankshaft has nothing to do with the transfer case and axles.
Tranny mounts? Do you mean transfer case or transmission?

he is saying to crankshaft/output shaft angles should be same and it is just easy to get a reading off of the bellhousing mounting surface on the block is what he meant by "where the tranny mounts" and you only need the drive shaft angle if you have an sye

Crankshaft, Tranny, TC all on same plane (straight line). The engine to tranny mounting surface is 90* perpendicular to this "line". Even if your vehicle sat a few degrees uphill, and you got a reading of 5* uphill, then your reading at the diff would be the 5* minus the 2* for pinion climb =3*. Now this is for a stock DS.
For a DS with a SYE, you would "point" the Pinion directly at the TC output (minus the 2* for pinion climb) irregardless of the engine "plane."

Does the lift you are putting on come with Leaf springs? If so you might want to make sure that the bottom leaf doesn't already have the pinion angle accounted for.

not sure but i would contact the company that makes it and find out what degree shim it is and account for it when you put your perches on rather than just copy the d35. i think that would be the safer bet.

Roll the axle (with the tires on it) under the rig.
Set the perches on the tubes.
Lower the XJ onto the axle.
Use a floor jack to raise the pinion until the proper angle is achieved (based on type of driveline you're running).
2joint_angle.gif

cv_angle.gif

Tack weld the perches.
Remove axle and finish weld.

Images from http://www.4xshaft.com/driveline101.html

thanks frank.

It does come with leaf springs and it does have that wedge at the bottom... For it having that does that mean I can just weld the perches at the same pinion angle as the d35?

Those wedges should angle the axle to account for the pinion angle change due to the amount of lift as long as you are using the shackles and lift blocks (if any) that they provided. And of course call the maker to confirm.

Back