• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Cooling Fan Not Coming On?

hoodride

NAXJA Forum User
On my '94 XJ Country 2wd, 4.0 HO, auto, with A/C. The electric cooling fan doesn't come on when it reaches around ~200-215 on the gauge like my 98 XJ does. The fan works and comes on as soon as the A/C is turned on but won't come on when driving or idling without. The Jeep runs at normal temp during normal driving but occasionally gets up slightly past 210 when sitting in traffic and the fan doesn't come on. Any help on solving this issue would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would check wiring and your CTS. For the mean time you can always turn the defrost on.. it engages the A/C and e-fan. You can also run an override switch as well.

The temp sensor is right on as far as the actual engine temp, i've got one of those lazer heat reader guns and the t-stat and everything opens as it should. Maybe the switch itself is just not telling the fan to turn on when it should. Im just getting ready to sell the Jeep and would like everything to work as it should.

The fan shouldn't be coming on at 200 on your 98. I think 218 is the temp normally listed as when the aux fan should engage. 210 isn't running hot- At 200, the thermostat is just opening up.

On the earlier years, can you still unplug the CTS (I guess it's the fan switch in your case) and engage the fan?

Does the efan come on when the A/C compressor engages? If so then the computer fan control is working properly, and the problem is the temperature side of things.

'94 has two temperature probes: one at the back of the head for the gauge reading, and another in the thermostat housing for the computer monitoring. Just because your gauge reads close to accurate doesn't mean the computer sensor does (your 98 only has one probe so the gauge and computer see the same thing but your 94 could be seeing two different things entirely). If you want to know what the computer sees you'll need an scanner that supports Chrysler OBDI interface.

Also the efan won't come on until the gauge gets almost 220--the next hashmark is around 230 so the computer should kick on the fan about halfway to next mark. Give it time to get there.

I just disconnected my e-fan and hooked directly to the battery and it didn't turn on. Used a multi-meter and is showed 12.14v across it so my fan was bad.

I didn't know exactly what temp the fan on my 98 kicks on at but i usually hear it around the 210 mark and when it does it will drop it back below 210, I just found it odd that in the 94 it passed 210 nearing 220-230ish and the fan still wasn't on. I've had tons of XJ's and none of them have passed 220ish even wheeling during the summer. Thanks ehall for the info on the 2 sensors and the efan does come on with the A/C, I figured the small one was for the gauge but wasn't sure, I'm going to go pick up a new t-stat sensor and see if that fixes it.

XJ gauges--all years--are notoriously inaccurate.

OEM gauges are not going to be perfect for any vehicle. But at this point sounds like a sensor fault.

Back