• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gabriel vs Rancho

RoadTrippin

NAXJA Forum User
So I put Gabriel Max Controls to replace my stock shocks on Sunday and they feel almost too soft. (this may have to do with the fact that I have yet to reconnect the sway bar links due to the the tops snapping off when I was disconnecting them to put on new coils.) The stock shocks felt pretty firm compared to these,would going to the Ranchos bring back the stock feeling or would it be like driving a brick?

Just looking for some opinions.
TIA

I think that the sway bar discounted is whats making the soft fill.

fix the s/b links before judging. with the s/b connected, it acts as a spring stiffener.

Interesting comparison between the two though!

I'm wanting to keep my s/b disconnected ,and was hoping to find a stiff enough shock to control the sway!

ok, just gonna chime in real quick cuz I was in the same position...

I run my XJ disco'd and needed new shocks after the lift. Everyone recomended Bilstien so I got 4 bilstein 5100's. I have to say, I was less than impressed with them. They drove like bricks on the highway but allowed the Jeep to lean excessively and corner horrible. I recently replaced them with 4 shocks from PORC and can't explain the difference! The highway ride is smoother than the bilsteins and the cornering is 150% better. The don't let the Jeep sway too much, even in long swooping corners but they handle the bumps and road much more comfy than either the rancho's or bilsteins. Not to mention, the PORC shocks are $129.99 for the set, shipped to your door. Not only is it a great shock, it's a great price. Now, as for the longevity of these shocks I can't attest as I've only had them on for a few weeks now, but I'm extremely happy with them

I put Bilsteins on my sons 97 Grand Cherokee and MAN....What a good riding vehicle it is now compared to the stocks. They are not cheap but the ride is well worth the price. I just bought a 96 Cherokee for myself and plan to install bilsteins on it!

SanDiegoXJ said:

I run my XJ disco'd and needed new shocks after the lift. Everyone recomended Bilstien so I got 4 bilstein 5100's. I have to say, I was less than impressed with them. They drove like bricks on the highway but allowed the Jeep to lean excessively and corner horrible. I recently replaced them with 4 shocks from PORC and can't explain the difference! The highway ride is smoother than the bilsteins and the cornering is 150% better. The don't let the Jeep sway too much, even in long swooping corners but they handle the bumps and road much more comfy than either the rancho's or bilsteins. Not to mention, the PORC shocks are $129.99 for the set, shipped to your door. Not only is it a great shock, it's a great price. Now, as for the longevity of these shocks I can't attest as I've only had them on for a few weeks now, but I'm extremely happy with them
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What brand is PORC or what is a link to them and when you day disco'd.......dus that mean that you run with the sway bar disconnected all the time, or that you have the disconnect front end........

Just wanting to be shore because that's what i want to do and if i can find a set of shock that will replace the sway bar...so to speak, then i will remove the sway bar all together and be able to add more rubber to my jeep!

Id rather have a somewhat stiff ride than feel like Im driving a Buick, maybe thats just me though. Ive had Bilsteins on other vehicles and Jeeps they are great on cars but too soft for me on Jeeps, I wanted stiff but not brick stiff...so far I like my Gabriels..

Old man EMU?......PORC? HELP PLEASE!
Want do they stand for, and how a bout a link so i can check them out!;)

SanDiegoXJ said:

I can't comment much on XJs with big lifts, because I don't have one, but on stockish XJs, Bilsteins are great. They dramatically improve handling and reduce body roll while still giving a nice firm, controlled ride w/o being any harsher than stock. Then add in the fact that they're only $50 a shock, and have a life time warranty, you really can't go wrong. I've never had to use the warranty because they've outlasted the vehicle on everything I've put them on. I put 160K miles on the Bilsteins on my old Blazer and they were still in good shape when I sold it. I have over 80K miles on the XJ's bilsteins and they're still like new.

$50 a shock is on the expensive side, but they're a lot cheaper than the OMEs and not much more than the Sensatracks.

Flash said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What brand is PORC or what is a link to them and when you day disco'd.......dus that mean that you run with the sway bar disconnected all the time, or that you have the disconnect front end........

Just wanting to be shore because that's what i want to do and if i can find a set of shock that will replace the sway bar...so to speak, then i will remove the sway bar all together and be able to add more rubber to my jeep!

PORC is their own brand...though they're stamped "Made in Mexico".

www.performanceoffroadcenter.com

I drive with my rear swaybar off and my front swaybar shoved up into my front wheel well (I will eventually get it reconnected). However, and let me make this clear, the shocks do NOT replace the swaybar. They merely make it more manageable than it was on the bilsteins. The bilsteins were mildly better than no shocks at all IMHO. But if you drive like a schmuck or speed around town, there's no replacement for the swaybar.

Atl XJ said:
I
Then add in the fact that they're only $50 a shock.

Um, where can you get bilsteins for $50?...I have yet to see them less than $69.95 anywhere? Hell, my 4 cost me $377.79 out the door....granted San Diego, CA isn't exactly known for its low cost prices either tho =) But even searching the web I couldn't find them much below $70 a pop plus shipping.

SanDiegoXJ said:
PORC is their own brand...though they're stamped "Made in Mexico".

www.performanceoffroadcenter.com

I drive with my rear swaybar off and my front swaybar shoved up into my front wheel well (I will eventually get it reconnected). However, and let me make this clear, the shocks do NOT replace the swaybar. They merely make it more manageable than it was on the bilsteins. The bilsteins were mildly better than no shocks at all IMHO. But if you drive like a schmuck or speed around town, there's no replacement for the swaybar.

Thanks for the replay and the link!

and i know that i cant hot rod around town and or high speed freeway
..........With winter upon us, i will be reconnecting my sway bar........after a little bit more fun!:D

Back