• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Pan 2000 XJ Auto 4.0

dodo4bird

NAXJA Forum User
Changing my transmission filter fluid, and I have this metal tube that goes from the bottom of my transmission pan to the top of my transmission. the tube doesn't seem to want to move and I am unable to get to the filter underneath the pan. Any ideas on what it is and how to remove it? Going with ATF+4

iguessing your talking about the dipstick tuber, its bolted to the back of the motor, you can acsess the bolt from inside the engine compartment on the pass side

Changing my transmission filter fluid, and I have this metal tube that goes from the bottom of my transmission pan to the top of my transmission. the tube doesn't seem to want to move and I am unable to get to the filter underneath the pan. Any ideas on what it is and how to remove it? Going with ATF+4

Good luck with that, let us know how it works out for you.

Sometimes you can get the o-ring to loosen up with the use of a heat gun. I couldn't so I ended up removing the mounting bolt for the tube as was stated above....

Either way, there is about a 95% chance you will need to replace the o-ring.

Not to start the debate up again, but I agree with Joe here... ATF+4 is not meant for the AW-4, use Dex/Merc.

I got the tube to separate by spraying some penetrating lube into the junction from above, twisting it a lot, and pulling hard while muttering curses.

Why? The owners manual says Dexron. The tranny wants Dexron. Who is starting these vicious nasty rumors?

Actually, it is Chrysler spreading these nasty rumors--ATF+4 was specifically PROHIBITED by Chrysler in the AW4 until 2007. Of course, by that time all AW4 transmissions were out of warranty.

Here is the FIRST Chrylser document authorizing the use of ATF+4 in the AW4 transmission: http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.autos.makers.chrysler/2008-11/msg00063.html

Sorry, Chrysler, but I ain't buying it!

Ok, I'll switch back to Dex/Mer. What the Hell should I do with all this ATF+4 I have sitting in my garage? Is it safe to put in the transfercase?

If you have an NP231, sure, go for it. The 231 just needs something with some detergent in it and the right viscosity to not grenade the fluid pump. If you've got a 242 I might give it a second thought, not sure if the 242 uses frictions or a differential internally, never worked on one.

I've still got enough +4 left for a change on the '98 ZJ we sold seven years ago. Never even been tempted.... Different friction qualities. Back in the day, the hot tip was Type F in a GM Turbo Hydro-you could really feel the difference. Would really bite into the next gear.

Thanks for all the help, got it done!! Are the magnets in the bottom of the pan use to collect debris that might get in? I filled the trans through the dipstick, saw a write up do it, but is the fill plug a 1 1/2 inch plug with a metal ring on the outside?

Back