• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission cooler from 80's Volvo

(*~*) lost

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious about this transmission cooler laying around here. would it be a good candidate? ok, part number (1378342) made in Sweden:lickout:. sorry no pic. dimensions lynth 8.25" by 5" an 2" thick. Nice an stout with bolt on hangers. came out of my ole volvo 740 turbo kept the AW-71 nice an cool on 23LB of boost, what about the AW4 in the jeep. 98 XJ 4.0 thanks:anon:

It should work fine. I suggest you use it instead of the one in the radiator because the tranny fluid can reheat the coolant in the radiator on hot days making the engine run hotter than it should.

wow so it is more than adequate for the jeep. thought every one ran them in-line on the XJ's as in after radiator line back to trans.
You could run your fluid through the cooler then through the radiator but if the cooler is very efficient it might cool the fluid lower than the coolant, then it would warm back up going through the radiator. I think it's just better to run it through an aux cooler only. BTW I run my power steering fluid through the radiator cooler.

How cold does it get in VA? You might want to plumb it so you can route the fluid through the radiator cooler in winter to add a little heat.

Last edited:
You could run your fluid through the cooler then through the radiator but if the cooler is very efficient it might cool the fluid lower than the coolant, then it would warm back up going through the radiator. I think it's just better to run it through an aux cooler only. BTW I run my power steering fluid through the radiator cooler.

Is there a write up on how to do this? About to dig into getting all my fluids cooler.

Back